Skip to main content

Rainy Days and Mondays...

"Rainy days and Mondays always get me down..." As my roommate Lisa pointed out, today was a rainy day and a Monday, making it a double negative. She went on and made her little saying into a riddle/song, but I will spare you the details. You're welcome. A rainy day in Bowling Green isn't just your average rainy day. You can almost always expect it to be freezing cold and very windy. My favorite part of walking to class in the rain is watching people try to keep their umbrellas from getting caught in the mighty wind and flipping inside out. I'm not being mean or getting enjoyment out of other people's misery (well, maybe a little) because it has happened to me too, on more than one occasion. I have had many umbrellas destroyed thanks to the winds of Bowling Green. But let's be honest here. There are some good things that can come from having your umbrella ruined. The large selection of umbrellas on the market today are indescribable. It's like Halloween everytime it rains. And believe me, mother nature will think twice before she messes with an umbrella that has a stinger, or eyes. But like most things that are good in this life, they come with risks. Owning an umbrella like one of these, you run the risk of it getting stolen. There are people out there who steal. They find digital cameras that they know don't belong to them and they keep them. It happened to me, and it can happen to you. I don't mean to discourage you from owning one of these umbrellas, in fact, I encourage that you get one. But an alarm of some sort, or even a chain lock wouldn't be a bad idea. As if the umbrellas aren't enough, believe it or not, it gets even better. Yeah, that's right.. there are rain jackets too! All with the same themes as the umbrellas. Do you feel like being a lady bug today, or perhaps a bumble bee? Or maybe you can't decide. That's okay too. Why not mix and match? Get crazy! It's raining outside and no one cares! Be a cross-polination of a bumble bee and a lady bug. [insert creative name mixing bumble bee and lady bug here] Okay, before I go any further, I need to give everyone a moment for a restroom break. Because it's about to a get even more intense and I don't want anyone to wet their pants (even though it's raining outside and no one would care). Who hates walking in the rain and getting your jeans wet up to your knees? I know I do! Well those days are over my friend. They don't call them "kidorable rainboots" for nothing. I know I don't need to explain why these boots are a must-have item, but there are a few things I feel necessary to point out. First, there are no shoe laces. How nice is that? Slip them on and off as you please, get that extra minute of sleep you normally wouldn't get because you would be tying your shoes. Your day will be better because of it. And if you ever have to walk to class with Kari Fidler, right before her anxiety kicks in at the thought of not getting to class at least 10 minutes early, if she sees you grab these boots, you will hear her sigh with relief knowing that she doesn't have to wait that extra minute for you to tie your shoes. And maybe, just maybe you can get to class 11 minutes early instead of 10. Now Kari wouldn't need these boots for that reason, because she probably woke up at 4:30am to put her shoes on so that she's not late for class. However, there is something about these boots that even Kari would find appealing. Can you say totally waterproof? Something tells me that Kari still can't wear her tennis shoes because they are soaking wet from Cedar Point on Friday [insert angry face to show frustration about being sick on Friday and not being able to go to Cedar Point] Perhaps if Kari would have been wearing these boots on Friday, she would have dry tennis shoes right now. Okay, I know there was a line when this whole theme might have been funny, and maybe I never reached it, but now I am about to dig it into the ground. But it would be completely unfair of me if I didn't tell you about one more product. I'm sorry Emily Tucker but the old excuse, "I don't have my homework because it got ruined in the rain," that you use so often, just isn't going to work anymore. Especially now that we have waterproof bookbags like these. And if you are someone who thinks practically like me, when you see those little dangling purses hanging off the bookbag, you probably see the perfect item to carry your ID and money to the bars in. Two bags for the price of one? Bargain! I promised my friend Tess that I would mention how much she hates walking to class in the rain only to find a note on the door saying that class has been canceled. But Tess, let's be honest, only on rainy days can you whip out your little critter gear. And even though it was a waste of your time walking in the rain to a canceled class, your outfit did not go unnoticed. You make the most beautiful frog I have ever seen, and I'm sure everyone who saw you walking to class in that outfit would agree with me. I couldn't help but notice that you were missing the bookbag, maybe you didn't realize they had that line of products out. Lucky for you, Christmas is coming up! Although I can't afford to buy you one, I have no problem stealing from small children. I'll see what I can do. How do you think I got you the rest of the outfit? Ohhh... you really thought I bought it? Did you think it was a coincidence that the same day your little cousin Johnny's frog critter rainsuit came up missing, I gave you a belated birthday gift of the exact same thing? Okay Tess, we'll have to talk about this later, I'm busy right now. Sorry about that. Anyway, I can't finish this blog without being a little serious. "Everyone wants happiness, yet no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow, without a little rain." Who cares if the rain ruins your plans and you have to wear your hair curly. Suck it up, put on the critter of your choice rain gear, and make the best of the day. Yeah, let's be honest, enough with the optimistic crap, that's not me or how I think. Stay in bed. Skip class. Nap all day. Do absolutely nothing. Rainy days are good for nothing except napping.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Emily... nice blog today, pretty funny stuff
Anonymous said…
I suppose it was kindof funny...but nothing to write home about :)

-B
Anonymous said…
Are you sure your okay? Really?
My counseling skills are needed eh?

-MM

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I