Skip to main content

You hate your job...I get it...

Dear Cleveland Postal Workers,

I have had many encounters with various postal workers throughout my last year of employment in Cleveland. None of which have been enjoyable for me. Most of which involved me getting scolded and lectured in ways that I haven't experienced since being a small child. Today's experience, although small in overall comparison to the others, was the straw that broke the camels back. I just don't understand how individuals who so obviously hate human interactions, end up working in customer service/sales related positions such as postal workers. Perhaps it's because of problems in our social structure which require people to do jobs that they don't enjoy. But I have a separate blog for political issues such as these.

Many people dislike their jobs and are dissatisfied at work. Not everyone, however, takes it out on innocent people who just want to buy some stamps for their non-profit. Yes, I admit. You caught me putting tape on a stamp once. You did not like it. You made it quite clear to me that it was a big no-no and that I should never make that mistake again. And guess what? I won't. The thing is, you really only had to tell me once not to do it again. I learn quickly. The five minute lecture and badgering was a bit much. I work for a poor non-profit. We have to try and reuse stamps from old mailings. I didn't have a glue stick yet, I had just started my job. I thought tape was harmless enough. Since the incident, and believe me you made my first experience at a Cleveland post office quite memorable, I have purchased a glue stick and I know never to put tape on a stamp again. In other trips to the post office, and additional lectures and badgering, I have also learned that you cannot drop envelopes in a mailbox with rubber bands on it. This one probably should have been common sense. I was out of my game on that one. Lesson learned. You have also taught me that once I'm given the necessary paperwork, I must exit the line to fill out the forms and then re-enter the lines. Noted.

The final lesson I have learned is that no matter how sweet and innocent I try to act at the post office (well, it's not really an act. I am sweet and innocent), I get yelled at each and every time. I still will kill with kindness though. I will not treat others poorly just because that's how they treat me. I should also mention that I have visited a total of 5 different branches of post offices throughout the greater Cleveland area and my experience has been the same each and every time. But I want to give you credit where credit is due. Today you definitely showed me that it's nothing personal. Even the 90 year old-woman in front of me in line was spared no mercy. She wasn't quite fast enough making her elderly way over to the counter. That made me feel a little bit better (no - I don't enjoy when elderly people are mistreated. I was just glad it wasn't a personal vendetta, me versus the Cleveland Postal Workers).

I look forward to our next encounter. I will keep trying to obey all of the rules and not screw up and you keep trying your hardest not to smile at work and make each experience with your customers more miserable than the last. Until then....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome!

Kim
Sara Meyer said…
LOVE THIS!!! You crack me up and are so very right!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I