Skip to main content

"Life is short but sweet for certain"

It's a beautiful day today. Not nearly as hot as yesterday. The sun is shining and the birds are chirping. I'm sitting out on our deck (oh the joys of laptops and Wi-Fi) and literally, soaking it all in. The trees and flowers are in full bloom and all I see when I look around is bright green. Sometimes he's so quiet I forget he's there, but my loyal companion, Grady, is right here laying beside me.

Life has been so busy for us lately that I can't remember the last time I was able to just come outside, sit down and relax and really appreciate all the wonderful things in our life. We have such a big, beautiful backyard. It feels like our own little park. After all the houses we looked at in this area, I know a yard this size isn't common and we are so lucky to have it.

We spent yesterday with my Mom and Mark and had a wonderful time. We'll be spending this afternoon with Pat's family and my Dad. We are so lucky to have so many wonderful people in our lives. It's Father's Day and I feel lucky that I have two dad's and Pat has one. There are many who can't say the same. In fact, all three of our father's can't wish their dad a Happy Father's Day today.

After spending last weekend at a funeral of my friend's 29 year-old husband, I was reminded of how lucky I am that Pat and I are both healthy. My heart breaks for the wife he left behind who has to come to terms with the fact that she waited her whole life to meet him, fall in love with him and then spend the rest of her life with him but their lifetime together was taken away from them so abruptly due to cancer. I can't even imagine if that happened to Pat. One day he seems healthy, the next day he's in the ER finding out that he has cancer that has spread everywhere and doesn't have much time to live. A week and a half later, he is gone. How do you move on from that? When her one-year anniversary arrives in July and she is spending it alone, how does she cope with that pain? I guess like anything in life, you do it one day at a time. I pray for her every night. And as selfish as it sounds, I also pray for me. I pray that I never have to know what life without Pat would feel like. I know what life before Pat felt like and I know how wonderful life with Pat is and I can only imagine how painful life without Pat would be. I hope I never have to find out.

I wish I could stay in this moment forever. Where I'm not worrying about small, insignificant details in life. I'm not holding grudges or letting negativity fester inside of me. I'm looking at life from a much different angle, focusing only on what really matters: living and loving fully. Maybe it's by allowing yourself this time of silence and self-reflection that keeps you in this mindset. Whatever it is, I want to figure it out so I can spend more of my life like this. After all, we are reminded every day of how very short life can be. Let's live with no regrets.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!