Skip to main content

It's a bird...it's a plane...it's sun glare!

On Wednesday, it took me an hour to get to work. Three weeks ago, it took me an hour and ten minutes. That's right. I could have driven home to my parents house in Bellville or Butler in the time that it took me to get 28 miles. As soon as I realize traffic is backed up, I always turn on the radio and start scanning stations until I hear a traffic update.When traffic isn't moving at all, I always expect to hear about some horrible, three car pile up. And sometimes, I do. On other days, when there are no accidents to report, I end up hearing the traffic reporter on the radio say, "traffic due to sun glare delays."

Yes, you read that right.

okroads.com
Sun. Glare. Delays. I know. It makes absolutely no sense to me either! I understand when traffic is delayed because there's an accident or because it's raining or snowing. None of these situations make me happy, but at least they make sense. However, the sun shining, which is such a rare and beautiful thing in Cleveland, just doesn't make sense for such significant delays in traffic

Maybe it is because the sun is so rare in Cleveland. After all, the lack of sunshine is one of the reasons Cleveland is ranked as one of the most miserable cities to live in (according to national studies - not me). Cleveland ranks number 47 on the list of 101 cities with the lowest average sunshine amount (see full list here). "Dismal weather" and high commuting times are just two of the factors that have won Cleveland the prestigious award of most miserable city, an award I don't agree with, by the way. I can't argue with the statistics on unemployment, crime and weather, but I really do enjoy living NEAR a big city with so much to do - near, not in, being the clarifying word! Even if our sports teams don't win championships and titles, it's still fun to go to the games and cheer them on! 


I have completely digressed. Back to the sun glare delays. When you're driving East on your morning commute, brace yourself and mentally prepare for the fact that you might actually witness the sun shining. If you should encounter such a situation, please follow these steps carefully: put on your sunglasses, put the visor in your car down and drive. If we all work together, I am confident that we can rid this city of unnecessary delays in traffic due to the sun.

We may not have very many days left to witness these rare sun sightings, so please, let's just embrace the time we have with the sun and it's warmth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!