Skip to main content

My secret life

It's been a good run but I finally decided to come clean to the government about my secret life. You see, for the past two years and two months, I have been living under the dual identity of both Emily S and Emily R. I have to admit, it was invigorating.

But, all good things must come to an end. And after my computer at work got a virus this afternoon, I was convinced the government had figured me out. So I went straight to the social security office to come clean. When she asked me "what is the reason for your name change," I told her I had gotten married. When she smiled and said congratulations, I have to admit, I was embarrassed to tell her it had actually been over two years ago. She didn't seem phased. I'm sure she's seen it all.

There are several reasons why it took so long for me to finally make my name change official with the government (I changed my credit cards, license and other items immediately). First, hour limitations at the office. Before I started at my new job, I didn't have the ability to just go to the social security office between the hours of 8 and 4. So that covers my first year of marriage. As for the second year, I guess I was dragging my feet.

Hear me out ladies. Wasn't it at all difficult for you to let go of a name you have had your entire life? It's like giving up a piece of your identity. For me, it goes even a little bit deeper than that. I no longer had my brother in my family to carry on the Steele name and that really bothered me. It still does. Sunday marked 18 years since his death. It's really hard to believe.

Anyway, this disagreement caused a lot of turmoil in the Robinson household. I wanted to keep Steele on my social security card, as my middle name, and it really bothered Pat. I read an entire ethnography in grad school about marriage and names and how husbands and wives decide what they're going to do with their names.

Some women are so eager to take their husband's name that they only refer to themselves as Mrs. Patrick Robinson (gag). Others decided they weren't going to part with their maiden names and either kept it or hyphenated it. And in some cases, the man and woman combined their names to make up an entirely different last name. It was a very interesting book. Wish I could remember what it was called so I could pass it along.

I fall somewhere in between. I am super excited to have the same last name as Pat and I want to have the same last name as our kids (no, we're not expecting, I'm talking about the future). That being said, I just didn't want to see my maiden name disappear. After a lot of (heated) discussions, Pat and I finally came to an agreement about the name change. Granted, I could have just gone to the social security office and made my name whatever I wanted, and asked for forgiveness later, but that isn't how Pat and I operate. I wanted to keep Steele, but I wanted him to be okay with it. I explained my perspective again and he either got tired of arguing or finally saw things from my perspective.

So my new name is officially Emily L. S. Robinson. If you are going to address me, I wish you to only address me with my four name title, please. Of course I'm kidding. According to the government, I can still list my name as Emily L. Robinson and never have to list the Steele if I don't want to. But I can use it if I want to as my second middle name. I probably never will but that wasn't the point for me. I just wanted to know that I kept it, somewhere. Even if no one ever sees it. Maybe that's weird, but we already knew that.

I would love to hear your thoughts about changing your name and whether or not it was hard for you.

Comments

BeanGirl1983 said…
I've decided that Thomas has made me wait to long. I'm not giving up my name. I've had it my whole life! If we ever get engaged even, don't check the paper for the engagement announcement. There is just something wrong about announcing the Brown-Hughes engagement/wedding. He claims it sounds like something found in his underwear. So hyphenating the name is out of the question as well. I'll forever be a Brown.
Anonymous said…
My name is hyphenated. I did not in any want to get rid of Fort. I didn't think it was fair. In fact I long ago decided that no matter what my teaching name would only be "Ms. Fort". On the phone I switch back and forth depending on who you need me to be Ms. Fort or Mrs. Alloway. I really, really, really wanted my kids to have Fort as their middle name. That got a lot of resistance. As a compromise my oldest is named after my mother, and my youngest has my name as her middle name. If I could go back I would have insisted on Fort and not backed down. (won't let me leave my google name--hmm)
Unknown said…
I think your name change is perfect! I was hoping for an option like this but wasn't sure it existed. I too didn't want to give up my maiden name. Maybe just because I'm the first one of us to be married? I'm not sure. I'm just not willing to give it up completely. What a great solution. I talked to someone who had done this same thing and already decided it was what I was going to do, but it's fun to see people also choose this option. More and more women I talk to talk about giving up their last names as one of the hardest parts! It surprised me, but it's nice in the end to know that I can still be a Graham while holding onto the piece that unites me to my family.

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!