Skip to main content
Week: 21
Baby size: 10.5 inches head to heel, the length of a carrot
Bump size: 35.8 inches 
Weight: +14 pounds
Cravings: Anything sweet 

Cravings

Remember the pact Pat and I made about only eating sweets once a week? Here's how that is working out for me...

I went to work the very next day and my coworker brought in red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting - my absolute favorite!

I resisted the temptation all day long. That is, until about 3 p.m. when I couldn't take it anymore. So I ate one. It was delicious and so worth it. I have no regrets.

It had been a crazy day at work, I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to tie up loose ends for the magazine I edit and gosh darn it, I earned that cupcake!

And spoken like a true addict, I vowed that it "would be my last" and I would stick to the plan the next day. And I did. I was presented with this tasty little treat at a work luncheon the next day and I actually handed it back to the waitress and said, "thanks but no thanks."

I'm really not sure how I am possibly going to make it through the next 19 weeks only eating desserts once a week sine it's all I crave! All I can say is that even though I know Pat (and my doctor) have my best interest in mind - keeping my baby small enough that I can actually push it out - if I'm being completely honest with you, I'm about one dessert deprived day away from uninviting Pat to my future doctor's appointments and possibly killing him.

From now on, I will no longer refer to him as Pat. His name has been appropriately changed to the Dessert Nazi. I thought husbands were supposed to go out in the middle of the night and get you a milkshake if that's what you're craving?

Not my husband. Instead, I will have to wake up in the middle of the night and sneak into a closet to get my dessert fix.

Symptoms

New symptoms this week include back pain and heartburn. Neither are that bad, though, so I still consider myself lucky! As much as I complain about Pat the Dessert Nazi, he is very generous with his back rubs and has committed himself to rubbing my back whenever I need it for the remainder of the pregnancy. Now if only he would rub my back while I eat a big bowl of peanut butter ice cream, he would truly be the man of my pregnancy dreams.

As for the heartburn, I've never had it before in my life and didn't really know what it felt like. The other day I described to my coworker that my chest/esophagus felt like it was on fire and she confirmed that is in fact heartburn. So I bought tums for the first time in my life and now carry them with me in my purse. Turns out, they aren't very tasty unless you're into eating berry flavored chalk.

Nursery

Operation get house ready for baby was in full swing again last weekend. We have now officially moved every bedroom in our house. We moved our office down to the basement, moved our master bedroom into the old office and moved the guest bedroom into our old bedroom. We are very close to having an empty nursery!

I knew it was going to be a lot of work getting the nursery empty, but I didn't know it would require the moving of four different bedrooms in our house! If preparing for the baby is this much work, I don't even want to think about the work that will start when the baby actually gets here. Ignorance is bliss.

The crib and crib mattress both arrived this week as well as the fabric for the curtains. Slowly but surely things are coming together and I can't wait to put it all together!

Baby's Gender

I've officially started to take votes on whether we're having a boy or a girl and so far, the majority of people are saying boy. I also had a dream that we had a boy but it was a really weird dream. The baby came out with a huge head of black hair and brown eyes.

Considering Pat and I were both born bald with blue eyes, this was very weird. But maybe it's a sign we're having a boy? Either that or it's a sign that this baby is going to come out looking nothing like either of us.

Even complete strangers have told me it looks like I'm having a boy by the way that I'm carrying (low and in the front). But the baby's heartbeat has always been higher than 150, which according to the old wives tale means girl.

So who knows. Your guess is as good as mine at this point and I'd love to hear it. No worries. You're not locked into any vote until October and even then, there's no prize for winning so it's okay if you're wrong so guess away!

 Here are my 20 week ultrasound pictures to help with your guessing...


Comments

Jen said…
boy!!!!
Unknown said…
Terri votes: boy!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!