Skip to main content

32 weeks


Week: 32
Baby length:
16.7 inches
Baby weight:
3.75 lbs. - the weight of a squash
Bump size:
40.75 inches
Weight: +27 pounds (+2 lbs. from last week)
Cravings:
Not too much, maybe some chips and dip?

What if I told you that in the middle of this week's "photo shoot," I started crying?

What if I told you I had absolutely no explanation for my tears other than the fact that I was so tired that I didn't feel like I could even smile for a picture and then when I saw the photo after it was taken, I felt like I looked fat and ugly.

So I started crying. Luckily, the ridiculousness of the tears then caused me to laugh at myself therefore leading to the picture with this smile.

It was a busy week for mom-to-be and Baby R! Lots of excitement for both of us.

After a week of annoying back pain, I had a prenatal massage on Friday, thanks to my SIL and BIL Traci & Russ who got me a gift card for my birthday. I walked into the appointment feeling pretty miserable and I walked out feeling like a million bucks!

It was amazing and did wonders for my back! So I've decided I need to get one massage a week for the remaining seven weeks of pregnancy. Now if only I had a million bucks maybe I could make this happen.

Then on Saturday I had my first baby shower which was held at my dad and Jill's house. My step-mom Jill, sister Betsy and aunt Marlene hosted the shower and it was such a special day! The food was delicious, decorations were super cute and I truly felt showered in both love and gifts for the baby. Now I get to do it all over again this Saturday. How lucky am I?

Some of the cute decorations from the shower
On Tuesday we had our first birthing class (more on that below) and on Wednesday my friend Julie took some maternity pictures for us. I would say it was a great, busy week!

Sneak peak of some of the maternity pictures taken by Julie D Photography
 Baby Movements

The baby is still doing acrobatics in my belly. Perhaps an Olympic gymnast in the making? I still feel lots of movements many times throughout the day. Some of these movements put pressure on my bladder causing me to get the sudden sensation that I'm going to pee my pants.

Luckily it only lasts for a second and as we all know, I'm not stranger to this feeling. The good news is, it hasn't caused me to pee my pants...yet. But I think as time goes on, it probably will. I look forward to that.

Maternity Lessons

A few more comments this week:

"Wow. Maternity shirts these days don't really leave much up to the imagination." - speaking about the tank top I had on in the picture above.

"I think your belly grew over the weekend."

"I think your belly grew since Friday."

"Wow. you look bigger since the last time I saw you" (which was Friday).

Yes, three people said almost the exact same thing to me at work on Monday after not seeing me for two days over the weekend. Note to self - perhaps polka dots are not the best pattern selection for women who are eight months pregnant.

But my favorite comments of the week were:

"I just need to give you a hug. I'm not sure if it's the summer sun or what but you are glowing and look fantastic."

"You are the most beautiful pregnant woman ever."

So what if I paid both of them $100 to say these nice things to me. It was totally worth it to hear those sweet words.

We had our first birthing class. It was good and I think we both learned a lot - even about information I wasn't quite prepared to hear. You see, up until this point, I had been avoiding reading anything about the subject of labor or delivery out of fear and denial. But there is absolutely no dancing around this issue in a birthing class.

And as it turns out, these babies don't just suddenly appear in your lap one day like they do in my dreams. And the stork does not actually exist. You actually have to do work - really hard, painful work - to get these babies out. Who knew?


We learned a little bit about labor and delivery this week, with more to come in the next few weeks, including watching videos of two births. Not going to lie. It terrifies me.


Symptoms

Breaking news...I now have cankles. Seriously, I do. I wish I were joking. I didn't notice them until the massage therapist pointed it out during my massage on Friday. And she was right. There is absolutely no separation between my calves and my ankles anymore. They just sort of flow into one another and right down to my fat, swollen feet.

And my toes, which have always looked like little sausages anyway, are even more swollen now. It is not a good look for me. The good news is, it's actually getting harder to see my feet anyway so it's easy to ignore them. Ignorance really can be bliss.

I also have severely dry, chapped lips. I"m not sure if this is even a pregnancy symptom or not but I'm blaming it on the pregnancy anyway. I have been putting on chapstick no less than six times a day and my lips still burn like they are on fire all the time.

On a positive note, because they are burning and sore, my lips have a bright pink tint to them which makes me look like I'm wearing lip gloss all the time so that's kind of nice.

I'm still feeling a little bit more emotional than usual (see comment above about crying during this week's photo shoot). While driving to work this week, the song Hungry Eyes came on the radio and I started tearing up.

The series of thoughts in my head upon hearing the song that ultimately led to the tears were as follows: Hungry Eyes reminded me of the movie Dirty Dancing which then reminded me of Patrick Swayze which then reminded me that he is dead which then caused me to start getting emotional.

Don't get me wrong - the untimely death of Patrick Swayze is sad. But the non-pregnant Emily would not cry about this. Especially three years after he died and definitely not to the song Hungry Eyes. It's not even a sad (or good) song.

Weight Gain

So I've gained 27 pounds, two pounds since last week. It's actually getting harder to see the scale with my big belly so maybe I should just stop getting on it. What do you think? Sounds good to me.

I had to get a new license this week (actually, was supposed to do it on my birthday and didn't realize it so I've been driving around with an expired license for the last month - opps!). Just what ever pregnant woman wants - a four year reminder of how much weight they gained during their pregnancy.

I wasn't sure how to respond when the guy at the BMV looked at me and said, "is your weight the same as what was on your last license?" So I paused awkwardly while I contemplated in my head what I used to weight 27 pounds ago and before I could answer he interrupted my thoughts with, "or at least close to the same amount?"

"Sure," I answered. When he came around from behind the counter to take my new picture, he noticed my big belly and jokingly said, "Mam, were you lying about not gaining any weight." It was funny and he was my friend until he proceeded to take the ugliest picture of me possible, from below my face so that the camera looks up at my double chin and is zoomed ridiculously close to my face.

Thanks a lot for that, guy. I also had to get my picture taken at school today for my ID tag. The lady who took it said it was "beautiful." I'm sure she was lying.

Gender Prediction

So I've talked a lot about the fact that I, and almost everyone else in the world, think I'm having a boy. And someone asked me if this is what I want. I truly have no preference about the sex of our baby.

Let's be honest. They are both scary in different ways. Boys are too daring and do dumb, adventurous things like play with fire and pee on each other. While girls, especially teenage girls, are moody, dramatic and super sensitive and can be somewhat mean to their parents for no reason at all (I speak from experience. Sorry, mom and dad).

All I want is a healthy baby.

That being said, I still think it's boy.

Comments

Faith said…
Emily, I anxiously await your weekly posts about your pregnancy. I can 't wait for the posts about. Motherhood. Girl or boy. (Or twins as Tim says!!), I have no doubt you and Pat will be wonderful,loving parents. See you Saturday!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!