I saw this link of Facebook and I thought it was a great idea. The author encourages readers to take the week leading up to Thanksgiving to list reasons why you are thankful for your husband. If you list seven items a day and then one on Thanksgiving, you will end up with 50 reasons you are thankful for the man you married. I saw this on Wednesday, when you were supposed to start, and I am just getting around to in on Friday. Shocking, I know. So I have some catching up to do.
There are a lot of reasons why I think this exercise is important for any couple, but for me particularly, I feel like I've taken him for granted since having Graham. I have put everything I have into being the best mom I could be and I have neglected many other areas in my life (just ask my friends and family who probably think I've fallen off the face of the Earth) - including my marriage.
I followed the Babywise book for getting Graham on a schedule and teaching him good sleeping habits from a young age (not opening the debate about Ferber vs. Sears) and one of the components they stress in this book is "putting your marriage first for the child's sake."
So far, I have become one of those mothers that puts their baby before everything. And I'm not saying that is bad, either, because I view it as the most important job I have ever had and I want to make sure I'm doing it well. But I don't want to become one of those couples whose whole life revolved around their kids so much so that when their kids grow up and move away, there is nothing left of their marriage.
This exercise is going to be really important for me to remind myself that I have been taking Pat and our marriage for granted and I have so so much to be thankful for and my husband Patrick is at the top of the list.
Reasons why I am thankful for Pat:
1. He's a nice guy.
2. He's a great husband.
3. He's an awesome dad.
4. He views our marriage as a partnership and does a lot around our house and splits all the responsibilities with me.
5. He's a hard worker.
6. We have fun together.
7. He loves me exactly the way I am.
8. He takes care of our house and yard work.
9. He's a good sport about my crafting "projects"
10. He makes me laugh
11. He complements my personality and helps to balance me out
12. He is laid back and goes with the flow (and hopefully it will one day rub off on me :)
13. He keeps me warm when our bedroom is freezing
14. He takes care of me when I've had too many cocktails
To be continued...