Skip to main content

My cardio conundrom

I wonder if anyone hates doing cardio more than I do? I'm serious. When I am doing cardio on a machine (eliptical, stair master, bike, etc.), every minute feels like ten minutes and twenty minutes feels like for-ev-er. It is pure torture for me and Pat has to practically drag me out the door to get me to the gym. Weight lifting and strength training, however, I could do that all day! I push myself hard and it doesn't get old for me. But unfortunately, as Pat is always reminding me, the weight lifting and eating right aren't enough to lose weight.

But as much as I complain about doing the cardio, I ALWAYS feel better when I'm done. Don't tell Pat this detail because each time he's trying to persuade me to go to the gym, he reminds me of how good I'll feel when I'm done, which I usually disagree and argue with as another way of trying to get out of the workout.

Well, as some as you know, despite my best attempts to get a refund on our deposit and get out of the trip, Pat and I are in fact going to Mexico in the middle of April. I'm trying to embrace the trip and get excited about it (aka, go shopping for things to take with me) and I decided I would try some bathing suits on at Old Navy.

I also found this little gem at ON
I worked out on Saturday so I was feeling pretty skinny and good about myself on Sunday when I entered the store. All that "feeling skinny" crap went out the window when I actually entered the fitting room with the bathing suits. I almost threw up when I saw myself in the mirror. The only suit I ended up buying was a tankini top to try and hide my belly, only one of my unflattering areas. If I can find bermuda shorts as a bathing suit bottom to cover up my massive thighs, I will be good to go. Or better yet, maybe I should never enter a body of water again unless I am pushed in, fully clothed.

Okay, I've digressed. My trip to Old Navy was a huge (literally) wake up call about the fact that regardless of how much I hate doing cardio, I better suck it up (literally) and work my butt off (hopefully, literally) for the next month and a half so that I don't embarrass myself among the young, skinny, newlywed honeymooners who will inevitably occupy this adult only all-inclusive resort in Mexico.

For as long as I can remember, I've been trying to come up with ways to make my cardio workouts go by faster. When I was trying to get skinny for our wedding, I seriously listened to Pachebel's Cannon in D on repeat while I was on the eliptical and you wouldn't believe what motivation that was for me! But now that the wedding is over, I need something else to keep me going during my cardio. I did start doing a Zumba class, which I love on Wednesday nights. Dancing and shaking my booty (or attempting to) is cardio in disguise for me! The hour goes by pretty fast, although I do catch myself looking at the clock, occasionally.

But what about the other two workouts during the week? As much as I love music, it just isn't enough to distract me from the awfulness that is cardio. So I decided to try out some podcasts on my iPod for the very first time. I know, 2004 called and I finally answered. I found some interesting podcasts and won't allow myself to listen to them unless I am working out. I've only tried it once so far, but I definitely noticed an improvement! You don't need a super fancy iPod touch to take advantage of podcasts, you can put them on any iPod you have. And best of all.. they're free! As I keep experimenting with different ways to get through my cardio workouts, I will make sure to share them with you!

The irony of what I'm about to tell you is almost too much for me to bear. As I'm typing about how fat I feel and how I need to motivate myself to workout and get skinny...I hear the blender being used upstairs. Next thing I know, my husband is handing me a chocolate banana milkshake made with only the healthiest ingredients of ice cream, milk and chocolate. At least the bananas are healthy. Perhaps this is part of his trickery to get me to the gym. I can hear him tomorrow when he's trying to get me to go to Zumba, "Well, Emily...you did drink that fattening milkshake yesterday...you better come burn it off."

Comments

Elaine said…
I hate doing cardio too!! Luckily my dancing helps some, although it isn't always that aerobic-but I find it's more distracting then just being on the elliptical or treadmill. I've been trying to do more though since I don't feel like modern dance is that much of a workout...maybe I'll try the podcast idea. Good to know I'm not the only one that despises it!
Aubrey said…
If I am running on the treadmill, I have to read a magazine, listen to my iPhone AND watch the TV to distract myself. And, I actually like to run. I mix it up by going to different classes during the week. Keep doing Zumba, but see what other classes you have available at your gym and you might just find another that takes away the pain of cardio!
Ericabee said…
i hate it too but i'm slowly getting better. I don't think i'll ever actually enjoy it but some day I hope to stop cursing loudly and wishing for someone to shoot me and put me out of my "misery" while I'm on the eliptical.

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!