Skip to main content

early bird gets the worm

My mom used that saying a lot when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure it had to do with me always being the last to wake up and my siblings getting all the good breakfast or something like that. It seems I haven't outgrown this tendency.

Pat and I are very different when it comes to consuming desserts and sweets. I don't crave chocolate or sweets very often so I like to save mine until the moment is just right. Pat, however, has a never ending sweet tooth and will devour all sweets in sight, even if they're mine.

Take for example, the candy I got in my stocking. I love peanut butter so naturally, anything reeses makes is up there on my list of favs. Reese's pieces, reese's peanut butter cups, you name it. I received both in my stocking from Pat and haven't eaten either of them. I was saving them for that perfect moment when I'm craving something sweet and either can afford the calories or just lose my will power completely.

Recently, I noticed that the peanut butter cups were gone. Pat couldn't take the temptation anymore and ate them. Early bird gets the worm, I guess. But he doesn't even tell me when he eats them. He's very sneaky about it and I have to find out on my own. Lucky for me, I'm very observant and have a weird memory about where things are placed so I notice right away when something is missing and it didn't take me long to realize when the reese's cups were gone from our pantry.

In Pat's mind, even though I may receive something as a gift, after it remains in our house untouched for a certain, unspecified period of time, he feels like "mine" becomes "ours" and therefore becomes "his." Is it really early bird gets the worm or is it more like the diligent, calorie-counter gets screwed? You decide.

My mother-in-law makes chocolate covered pretzel rods for holidays and covers them with appropriate colors and sprinkles depending on which holiday it is. She gave us each a purple, chocolate covered pretzel rod for Easter. Pat ate his within moments of receiving it. I, however, am saving mine until the time is just right.

After about 24 hours of sitting on our counter, Pat had reached his boiling point. He couldn't take it any longer. Finally, he asked me, "Are you going to eat your chocolate covered pretzel?" I told him yes. "When?" he asked. I told him that I wasn't sure yet when I would be eating it and that I'm saving it. This answer did not make him happy. I guess he was hoping I would say that I wasn't planning on eating it and that he could have it. When I didn't, he got angry. "Damnit!" he yelled. "It bothers me that you just leave it there. It just taunts me. That is what it does."

So, I guess we're making progress. Instead of just trying to be sneaky and eating it, he actually asked me first. I'm still convinced, though, that if it wouldn't have been so obvious that it was missing from the counter, he would have. One of us will end up eating the pretzel but I'm not very confident that it will be me. After all, the early, non-calorie counting bird always gets the worm, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!