Skip to main content

New year reflections

I ended last year reflecting on what a roller coaster life is and the struggle of allowing yourself to experience and deal with hardships and sadness without preventing yourself from feeling joy and happiness. My 2011 reflections are very similar. My guess is that this is just a part of life and that it will always be a roller coaster full of the good, the bad and the ugly and that the real lessons will come from learning how to experience and deal with everything life throws at you.

I've experienced a great deal of the good, the bad and the ugly already in my twenty-eight years of life - a lot has been thrown at me - but yet, even with a lot of experience, I still struggle with how to properly deal with such wide ranges of emotions.

Last year at this time my step-dad was in the hospital battling cancer. In a week, it will be the first anniversary of his stroke and a few weeks later, the first anniversary of his death. The months after his death were truly a blur. I was trying to figure out what life was like without him and in the meantime, not letting life pass me by.

My first reaction after Mark died was to cancel our trip to Mexico that would be taking place just a few months later. It just didn't feel right to be doing something fun while I was hurting so much inside. But we went anyway (because we would have lost a lot of money by canceling) and I'm so glad we did. The restrictions of our financial deposit threw me into a situation that would force me to let myself feel sadness, happiness, pain and excitement all at once. I did and we had a great trip!

Last year, I wrote about friends and family who were struggling to start families. In 2011, these same people either had their babies or are expecting them soon. What a blessing! But in the roller coaster of life, just as one person ends their struggle, a struggle begins for someone else. Unfortunately, now it's Pat and I who are off to a rough start with the journey into parenthood after going through a miscarriage in early December.

I've said it before and I'll reiterate, I don't believe that everything happens for a reason. Too much has happened in my life without "reason" and I can't believe in a God who would rip a son and brother from a family in a tragic way. No "reason" could ever be good enough. That being said, I do believe that there is always a silver lining and one of the most difficult and most beautiful things in life is learning to focus on the positive in what appear to be desolate situations. To some this comes naturally. For me it does not. It is a learned behavior and something I continue to work on. And I'm getting better.

We began 2011 with one of the most painful situations of my life, the death of my step-dad and our first real loss as a couple. We ended the year with another painful situation and our second loss as a couple, our miscarriage. The silver lining? We made it through - together. We are a stronger couple because of both situations and we found a new appreciation for each other through it all. I've always felt lucky to have found Pat, but having him by my side in the most difficult situations is a huge reminder of how blessed I really am.

At the beginning of December, I couldn't wait to see 2011 go. All I could focus on was the heartache it brought me and my family and I was so excited to say goodbye and good riddance to 2011 and welcome in 2012. But as life would have it, we didn't have to end our year focusing on our lost pregnancy. Our niece, Harper, was born on December 28, and this little miracle was exactly what we needed to end the year on a high note.

We have every reason to believe 2012 will be full of blessings, as long as we allow ourselves to look for them and feel them completely. Wishing you a happy, healthy 2012!

"Make it a habit to look for the silver lining.... Then turn it into gold."

Comments

Mary Alice said…
Emily...you are an inspiration to us all. While there are many people deserving of a much brighter 2012, I don't know of one closer in my circle of friends. As the saying goes: “You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”
― William W. Purkey

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!