Skip to main content

Thanks for everything 2010!

As 2010 comes to a close and my step-dad Mark is back in the hospital, I can't help but reflect on what a roller coaster this last year has been.

In 2010, I got to see so many of my friends get married and start their futures together. I was also there to watch a friend bury her husband before their one-year wedding anniversary. I was lucky enough to celebrate my one year anniversary with my husband and best friend. A best friend got engaged while other friends are still waiting to meet that Mr. or Mrs. Right.

I've watched people I love and care about fight for their life against the awful wrath of cancer. I've received birth announcements and pregnancy announcements of friends and family. I've watched people I love and care about struggle to start families.

I started a new job filled with new challenges, new learning opportunities and new friends and coworkers. I've watched family and friends struggle through jobs that don't make them happy. I watched a family member lose a job and luckily, quickly find another one.

I had the opportunity to travel to Boston, Memphis and Nashville with my husband while my friend's were separated from their husbands because of military deployments or working out of state.

I have learned so much over the last year about myself and about life. I knew how unpredictable and unfair life can be but experiencing so much happiness and sadness so close together in one year, really challenged me to take control of my emotions. I had to learn to let myself feel the pain and sadness that came with cancer re-occurrences, deaths and hardships and also allow myself to rise again and feel the joy and happiness of weddings, engagements, babies and time with family and friends.

I never knew how to take control of my thoughts and emotions and this year forced me to start learning. I'm truly enjoying getting older and continuing to learn more about myself. Learning how to better handle stress, take control of my anxiety and become a more relaxed person are all things I believed were out of my control but this year taught me if there is anyone who can control how I respond to this roller coaster we call life, it's me.

This year has taught me that life will also be a roller coaster. There will always be a mix of positive and negative situations, emotions and experiences. It's out of my control. I can only control how I respond to what life throws at me.

This year has taught me how very blessed I am and to be thankful every day for all that I have.

Oh, and how can I forget what a big blogging year this has been for me! In 2010, I have published 73 entries in my blog. From 2005 to 2009, I only published 77 entries! Yes, only 77 entries over a four-year span! I'd say I've come along way and would like to blog even MORE in 2011! I really enjoy doing it, it's a great outlet for me to express myself and I hope it provides some entertainment for the two people who actually read it.

My top ten favorite blog entries for 2010 (if I do say so myself) were:

Are you there blog its me emily
A couple that assembles furniture together stays together
Oops i crapped my crate
My dog ate your wedding invitation
Football widow
Woman versus wild
My porcelain revelation
Throw your hands in air
The sweater
No one likes sour jugs

Did you have any favorite blog entries? Did you like any of them? Did you read any of them? Do you even like me? Just kidding.

Happy New Year to you and here's hoping you continue following along for the journey as I take on 2011!

Comments

-Kelsey Coghill said…
Happy New Year Emily! May 2011 be a fantastic year of hope and celebration for you and your family!
Kristen said…
Uhmm, I love all your posts---there is no way I could pick a favorite! However, I LOVE the one about Oops I crapped my crate because I can so relate to that on so many levels.

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I