Skip to main content

Apparently, I have good blood

I'm sure we all remember that very dramatic day of November 30, 2010, when I donated blood to the American Red Cross for the very first time. I got a letter this week confirming that my blood was indeed received (thank goodness it didn't go to waste) and that I saved up to three lives. Go me!

I also received a cool little card with my name and my blood type on it. I never knew what type of blood I had! My blood is 0 Positive, which is the most popular kind of blood. And according to the Red Cross, this type of blood is highest in demand. Well, don't I feel important?

The letter that accompanied this cool little card was urging me to come back and give blood again as soon as I'm eligible, which is on January 25, 2011 (so soon?). The letter stated, and I quote:

"You really have done something amazing.

And now you personally can do something even more remarkable with just a few moments of your time. Come back, and give blood again. You see, only 30% of first-time blood donors come back to give a second time. Has anything else you've done lately made you feel this good?"

Well, I must say, it does feel good to be wanted and needed and saving lives is an awesome thing. However, I would like to address a few sentences within this letter that, given my experience giving blood, I found to be quite humorous.

First of all, I can assure you it took more than just a "few moments of my time." I'm not saying it wasn't worth it, how can you really put a time limit on saving lives? But let's call it what it is. Even if things would have gone smoothly (which they DIDN'T), it still would have taken at least twenty minutes and I feel that is more than just a few moments of my time.

After the overwhelmingly positive experience I had for my first time giving blood, I can't for the life of me figure out why "only 30% of first-time blood donors come back to give blood a second time." Who doesn't love unfriendly people who are terrible with needles stabbing you in the arm for 45 "moments of your time?" I know I do!

"Has anything else you've done lately made you feel this good?" Hmmm... no nothing. I haven't had any root canals or forks stabbed in my eyes so I guess giving blood wins!

All jokes aside, I was very happy to know that my blood was received and that I did save lives. I was excited to find out my blood type (I have no idea why that excites me but you just never know when you might need that important piece of information) and I did enjoy reading about some of the people whose lives have been saved by blood donations. That being said, I'm still not sure if I will ever donate again. But I will carry my donation card in my wallet just in case....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!