Skip to main content

What's in a name?

Is there an appropriate amount of nicknames you can have for your pet? Or maybe a better question would be, how many nicknames is too many? I was just thinking about all of the different names I/we (but mostly me) call our dog, Grady, and there are a lot!

I wonder if it gets confusing for him? Maybe that is why he only listens to me half of the time - because I only call him by his real name half of the time (actually, that's being generous. I probably call him by his real name much less than half of the time).


Here are the different names I call my dog:

Grady
Grady Mac
Grady Mac Robinson (his full, birth given name)
Grady Boy
Big Boy
Buddy
Mr. Fluffy (name given to him by kid at the vet)
Fluffy
Fluffer
Mr. Fluffer
Mr. Fluffer Pants
Mr. Fluffer Pants Head
Mr. Fluffer Head
Fluffer Fluff (spin off of Flavor Flav)
Stretcher Bear (I used to say this every time he stretched, now he stretches just to hear me say it)

Wow, as I was typing these I started to get embarrassed! I don't think much of it when I'm saying them, but when you see them in writing it takes on a whole new meaning. Not only is it ridiculous that I call him this many names, the names themselves are absolutely ridiculous. You can kind of see the progression of how each name came about (maybe? or maybe like many things that come out of my mouth - they make absolutely no logical sense whatsoever).

Grady is for sure going to have an identity crisis one of these days!

Come on, make me feel better. Do you make up any random nicknames for your pets?

Comments

Holly said…
You are not alone in the pet nicknaming. I'm surprised my pets haven't had an identity crises either. But I think they know that we only give them nicknames out of love. Here are few of my pets' nicknames (prob not very creative, but they just come out, yanno what I mean?)

Grady, our female cat, rarely gets called by her name. I call her Beast, Grady Cat, Beasters, Kitty Pants (most of the time we actually call her Beast. Not sure where that even came from).

Kilah, our German sheperd/husky mix: Ki, Kilah Dog, Big Dog, Scaredy (sp?) Dog.

Moxyn, our border collie/black lab mix: Moxie, Monster Moxyn, Little Dog, Wiggle Butt, Mox, Puppy Pants, Crazy.
Kristen said…
We have two cats Sterling and Truitt. Truitt has the nickname Jingles and Mr Jingles from my husband and I am not sure why, but he actually comes to that name as much as he does to Truitt.
Unknown said…
Bubba has multiple names, too! I loved reading the names you have for Grady - too cute!

Bubba - bubby, bubbies, flubster, tinky, lovie...I think this is it, but I most definitely could be forgetting some. I am laughing out loud while typing these. Also, we sometimes call him Dubs to totally confuse him - I know, totally unacceptable and mean!
Kristen said…
Roscoe (his real name)
Roci
Roz
Roci Cocoa
Cocoa
Cocoa Loco
Cokes
Cokie
Buddy
Baby Dog
Baby Dogger
Lover Boy
Roscoe Jenkins
...and I'm sure there are more. Don't feel bad. I'm pretty positive he doesn't even know his real name anymore haha :o)

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!