Skip to main content

Week: 19
Baby size: 6 inches, the size of a mango
Bump size: 35.5 inches 
Weight: +10 pounds
Cravings: Anything sweet

I still can't pass up desserts and don't worry - I didn't pass on anything this week, as much as I should have. I ate a glazed doughnut, piece of chocolate cake (it was small...) and a piece of cheesecake. Not all in the same day, but in the same week. 

Other than my poor eating habits, which is old news at this point, there were a few other big developments this week.

I guess you could say I officially "popped." I received more comments (and more belly touching) this week than I have throughout the pregnancy. This is both good and bad. I kind of liked being able to "hide" my pregnancy and only talk about it when and with whom I wanted. Those days are officially behind me and my protruding belly apparently is just screaming to people, "yes, I'm pregnant. Let's talk about it."

There are only two weeks left of school and I almost made it through the year without the entire student body noticing I was pregnant, but this week gave it away.

I could hear random students whispering about me everywhere I went. "Is she pregnant?" they would ask each other. Others would actually come up and ask me directly. They all want to touch the belly - most of them ask first - and they expect to feel the baby moving. I try to explain to them that I can barely feel it moving at this point and then they make funny comments like "Oh, I guess it's not developed yet."

They all want to know if I'm having a boy or a girl. When I tell them we're not finding out, they scream out in agony and act like I am doing it just to torture them. Oh, and they all want me to name the baby after them. 

Also in week 19, I discovered that I can't sleep on my stomach anymore. My body made it very obvious when I went to lay on my stomach and it felt like I was laying on a basketball. I guess I'm lucky I made it this far, but I am sure going to miss it. I didn't realize how much I actually slept on my stomach until I can't anymore. So long, comfortable sleep. Looking forward to seeing you again in October. Oh wait, I will have a newborn then. Looking forward to seeing you in 18 years?

I also have to sleep with a pillow in between my legs now. Not a big deal but not something I ever anticipated needing to do. But it is much more comfortable than without. And it gives what used to be an awkwardly cylinder shaped throw pillow that never got much use since I never make my bed, a new sense of purpose.

I'm no longer able to button my pants. At all. I've been getting by the last month with only buttoning one of the buttons on my pants but I can't do that anymore. This is unfortunate since I haven't purchased any maternity pants yet and really do not wish to until the fall.

One of the perks of working in a school is that I can dress casually in the summer. There are only two weeks of school left so I'm trying to hold out on buying clothes since I won't need them much longer (until the students come back in August - but we'll cross that bridge when we get there).

My SIL was nice enough to loan me her maternity clothes and this collection included a belly band. I was skeptical of this item at first, but when forced to try it this week, I am officially on the belly band-wagon (get it?). This little invention is awesome and I'm only jealous I couldn't have been the one to come up with it. If you've never seen or heard of one before - here is a picture.

Via
Basically it holds your pants up even when you can't button them. In my opinion, this is a much better alternative to shelling out money on maternity pants that you won't even be wearing for very long and which are - let's face it - very unattractive.

Not that I'm claiming this belly band is attractive either. And it's hot. My belly sweats in it. But I still think it's great and is worth the extra heat and sweat. So far, it's been a lifesaver (and a money saver) and I give it two thumbs up. Plus, it just looks like you're wearing a tank top under your shirt if it does happen to stick out.

And finally, in week 19, I peed my pants for the first time. Twice. To be clear, this is not the first time I've peed my pants in my adult life, but it is definitely the first time I've peed my pants in my adult life while sober (first time since about age 7 that is...).

Those who know me well, knew this day was coming. I've never been a portrait of bladder control. But I honestly thought I would at least make it to the third trimestser before it happened. There were several factors that came into play.

My first mistake was not going to the bathroom before I left work. I have a minimum of a 40 minute commute. My second mistake was not stopping home first before heading to the grocery store.

My third mistake was spending 60 long seconds contemplating whether or not at 19 weeks I qualify for the "expectant mothers" parking spot at Giant Eagle. I decided I did not, even though I was seconds away from peeing my pants, and took a spot in the back of the parking lot.

My fourth and perhaps biggest mistake was assuming I knew where the bathrooms were located, even though our Giant Eagle has recently undergone mass construction and rearranging. When I arrived in the location where the bathrooms used to be and didn't see them, I started to panic.

I ran waddled over to the bag boy and asked him where the restrooms were now located. He pointed in the opposite direction and said "all the way down there." That's when I knew I was doomed. I tried to calm myself down, think about anything else, walk a perfect balance between not too fast and not too slow but it didn't matter. It wasn't fast enough.

And if you think that just because I peed my pants, I didn't proceed with my grocery shopping, you are wrong. I went to Giant Eagle for the mango (pictured above) and I wasn't leaving without it. I guess you could say I swapped the mango for my dignity.

Comments

BeanGirl1983 said…
The question now becomes, did you change your pants before taking the photo with the mango?
Emily said…
I did change my pants (and underwear) before taking the picture. Great question. :)
Unknown said…
Oh Emily, you look so darned cute! I can't wait to read more about this....
Holly said…
So excited for you and Pat! You have some serious willpower not finding out the sex of the baby! You look so cute!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!