Skip to main content

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I become that girl sitting next to you in class who keeps clicking her pen or tapping her foot at speeds you didn't know possible. I become that annoying friend who appears to be listening to you but then can't repeat a single word you just said. I become that employee who has to ask you a million questions to complete one simple task and even then screws it up. Another endearing quality of mine when I'm worrying compulsively is eating uncontrollably. I eat even more than I normally do (yeah, I didn't think that it was possible either!). I've decided that I want to be nine years old again. That was a good year for me and I want to go back. Sure, being nine again will have some negative consequences. At the age of nine I had a haircut that made me look like a mushroom. Somewhat like the girl in the picture, but bigger with much more teasing. At the age of nine I also had a gap in between my two front teeth and buck teeth that made me look like I sucked my thumb until the age of six (oh wait, I did...). Mix both of those characteristics with my lazy eye and you get one cute kid! Yeah, I looked like I was conceived by two people who were brother and sister. All of that aside, I was still happy. Life was so simple. I hadn't faced challenges like losing a sibling and watching someone you love suffer from cancer. My biggest worries were my sister calling me a pee wart because I had a little bladder control problem at night, or her telling the entire bus of kids that we almost missed the bus because I had peed the bed AGAIN (yeah, she definitely emphasized the again). I don't want to sound like my grandparents here, but those were the good old days. Anyway, Mark is the most optimistic of us all about this infection. He calls it just "a bump in the road." I sure hope he's right. He's surpassed the doctor's expectations up till now so there's no reason to think that he can't do it again. Thanks for all of your thoughts and prayers! They mean so much! Until next time, this pee wart is signing off.

Comments

Anonymous said…
HAHAHHAA...you crack me up....everyday i wish more n more that i was also 9 years old...even tho i had ENORMOUS glasses and buck teeth...although i didnt have that peeing the bed problem...hahaha ;) just playin em! i love you n im always here!! KEEP STAYIN STRONG :)
Anonymous said…
well well well, what do you want me to tell you, i think you're funny...cause i know thats what you're looking for! :) anyways, i expect nothing less from betsy! i now understand why you say all those mean comments about her!! lol on another note...you know that i am always here for you when you need me and mark is always in my thoughts and prayers!!! mark will make it through this....he has overcame many obstacles!! so i hope you enjoyed me leaving you a comment since you threatened me!! night pee wart ;)
Anonymous said…
ok pee wart listen. sorry to hear that age 9 wasn't exactly your prime year, i'm right there with you when it comes to the sucking your thumb... but at least your bladder had the decency to wait until night time to release itself, much better then running to the bathroom at age 8 in school and not quite making it. Then having to do the walk of shame to the office to wait on your mother who happens to bring the most hideous replacement outfit :) i definitely don't want to re-live any of those moments.....but anyways....
hang in there and you will make it through everything that is going on with mark, just like you have with every other obstacle that has been put in your way! GOODNIGHT!!
Anonymous said…
I like the mushroom haircut, why don't you go back to that? Dark hair and a mushroom haircut would be a deadly combo! Im glad Mark is out of the hospital, I hope he keeps getting better. Nice Blog
Anonymous said…
I am peeing my bed just reading this shit... you are hilarious!!! I am sorry to hear about Mark but you know what I tell you : If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it! We will get drunk tonight just for good measure and drink enough to kill anything in his system for him! Awesome!
Anonymous said…
Hi...I think I was accidentally redirected here when I was looking for the number to a pizza place. Regardless, I enjoyed reading your blog.

Sincerely,
Someone you don't know

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!