Skip to main content

I'm much too young to act this old

You can interpret that statement many different ways and they all would probably apply to me. But I'm specifically talking about my inability to get ready for work in the morning without forgetting something. And it has been happening a lot lately. If there is ever a morning where I actually remember everything, it is a rare occassion and a cause for celebration.

This is yet another reason why I know I'm not ready for a child. If I can't get my 27 year-old self ready in the morning, how could I possibly get myself and a child ready in the morning? On less sleep?!?! Nope. Not ready. Sorry, Mom.

It's never anything earth shattering that I forget but it's something just enough to be super annoying. One day it was my mascara. It's very weird to look in the mirror at the bathroom at work and see your face with makeup on and it looks like you have no eyelashes. Another day it will be my earrings. Not a huge deal, but it looks weird when you're used to seeing something in your ears and all you see is holes.

Other days it's slightly more important things like deodorant. Gross. I know. Don't worry though, I hardly ever sweat and I've only had BO like once in my life and I was actually excited when I had it because I felt like it showed how hard I had been working that day. TMI? Sorry. Then there is the occasional forgetting of the wedding ring (cue Single Ladies by Beyonce!) or forgetting to bring my breakfast granola bars that I specifically bought to bring to work and made a "mental note" to remember them. Again, nothing earth shattering.

Last week, though, was probably one of the strangest occurrences of forgetfulness for me; I forgot to wear socks one day to work. It may not seem like a big deal and in the summer it most certainly isn't. There are many days throughout the spring and summer that I will wear a pair of flats without socks. I actually enjoy it and it is quite liberating. But when our school building had been closed for three days because of NO HEAT and it was only a high of 30, it was not an ideal day to forget socks. It wasn't until I was in my car driving to work that I realized I had no socks on and the boots I was wearing, were not made to be warn without socks. It was uncomfortable all day long.

Another moment of old person's syndrome also happened to me last week. We were getting ready to go to the Y and I was running late for my Zumba class (as usual). I couldn't find my water bottle anywhere. Yes, I had others I could have used but I really wanted THAT water bottle. After spending five minutes too long looking for it, I settled for another and went on my way to class. When I went to drop (literally) my coat off at the normal place on the floor, wouldn't you know, my water bottle, THE water bottle, was sitting right in "my spot" on the floor. I have no idea how long it had been sitting there but I know it was more than a few days! I'm just thankful it was still there! But had it not been, there is no way I would have ever remembered leaving it there.

These are all examples of me acting way too old for my age. I should NOT be this forgetful, right?

Playing checkers at home on a Friday night with my husband is another example of how old I act, but that is a story for a different day. :)

Comments

Unknown said…
Emily! You just pack a little bag for your desk at work -- mascara, earrings, lipstick, socks, Tums, Advil....whatever. (It's good practice for packing a diaper bag too!)
Ashley said…
hahaha oh my gosh you should like me!!! i loveee this post im lauphing... youre adorable!!!!
Ericabee said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to. I can't tell you how many times I've hung things on the front door to remember to take them with me, only to walk right in front of it, turn the handle that it's hanging on, and walk right out the door without it. I've missed many lunches this way. Al also lose my cell phone on almost a daily basis.
andrea t. said…
haha - this ALWAYS happens to me! And I am two years younger :-/ maybe we need to make some sort of support group?

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I