Skip to main content

Way to kick me when I'm down

Somewhere over the course of my life (the course that begins when you're done growing), I determined that I was five foot three inches tall. I have no idea where this number came from, but I can say with certainty that I have been saying I was 5' 3" since I was at least 16. How do I know this? That height has been listed on all of my drivers licenses. Heck maybe it was even on my permit at age 15 1/2. Anyway, I believe that someone, somewhere, told me I was 5' 3" and I have been repeating it ever since. I became quite comfortable with this number and feel like it is truly a respectable height.

I did have someone try to challenge my height once. It happened in college. They, too, claimed to be 5' 3" and were convinced that I was shorter than them. They couldn't present any solid proof or documentation that I was in fact shorter than them so I dismissed their claim and continued boasting a height of 5' 3", but the wave of doubt they cast on me and my 5' 3" height was always in the back of my head...

When I went to the doctor recently for my yearly physical, the nurse took my height, as they always do. They don't normally say the height out loud and just silently write it in the chart. I was always so confident in the answer (let's be honest, I knew I was getting any taller) that I never asked. Out of curiosity, though, this year I decided to ask what the measurements showed as my exact height. The nurse answered, very confidently, that I am exactly 62 inches tall. I didn't have to say out loud that 62 inches doesn't really do much for me as far as height is concerned. I don't do math and I certainly don't do conversions in my head (don't judge me, I was a communication major). My face must have said it all (or maybe it was the blonde hair) because she quickly converted the number for me to say that I am five feet and two inches tall. WHAT? Only two inches?!?! That person in college was RIGHT? I felt defeated.

Again, the nurse must have read me like a book and saw the disappointment in my face because she quickly asked, "Did you think you were taller?"

"Yes, yes I did." I told her. "I have been telling people for as long as I can remember that I am five three." She looked at me like, "who cares? You're short either way!" And it's true. Sad, but true. But for some reason, five three sounds sooo much taller.

You, too, might be thinking, "Why do you care? This is not a big deal." And it may not be to you. But let me tell you what very serious and important implications this new discovery has on my life:

Discovery #1: I have been lying on important documents like my license, passport and other various paperwork. Isn't that committing fraud??? If I'm being honest, I guess I can't really play the moral card here because I have also knowingly lied about my weight on my license, passport and other various paperwork since the day I started weighing more than, oh, 115 pounds (which was a loooooooong time ago).

Discovery #2: Rather than being able to claim that I am only 11 inches shorter than my husband, I now have to say that I am an entire FOOT shorter than him. That sure sounds like a lot, doesn't it? All I can think of is Eva Longoria and Tony Parker. They are divorced now. I bet it had to do with their difference in height (and nothing to do with the fact that he's a cheater face).

Discovery #3: Perhaps the most important and devastating implication of my new 5' 3" height is the fact that the measly amount of 1,385 calories I'm supposed to consume in a day should actually be even less because I'm an inch shorter!!!

Let me remind you that eating only 1,385 calories a day is VERY difficult for me and rarely happens. I'm drinking watered down Gatorade right now because I can't afford the 200 calories in a full 32 oz. bottle of Gatorade so I mixed it with water.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I can continue on with my day. But just for the record, if anyone asks, I am still 5' 3" as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I will end up purchasing one of those bumpits after all...

Comments

Niccole Sears said…
Enjoyed your new post. Tried to "like" it, but FB wouldn't let me. So I'll just say I liked it! And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as you age you'll probably get even shorter! But that's okay because your driver's license will still say 5"3".
Aubrey said…
I'm still sad about Eva and Tony, although I am convinced that it has everything to do with his cheater face and less to do with the height.

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!