Skip to main content

Defining your dream

Today I joined the Daily Challenge by MeYou Health on Facebook. I had received a few requests from friends but had no idea what it was. I checked it out today and it's really interesting. Have you heard of it?

My very limited understanding of it is this: Every day you're given a challenge related to your health and well-being. Once you have completed the challenge, you click a button and it lets everyone who you are "connected" with know that you have completed it. You also have the option of explaining how you completed the challenge and sharing this with your connections. There's also some sort of scoring system and you get points and win smiley faces or something, but I don't understand any of that yet.

This challenge is right up my alley! I love challenging myself and setting new goals! I thought it would be fun to bring the challenge to my blog, too! So once I complete the challenge, I will blog about it so you can complete the challenge, too, and share your experience with me. Sound fun? Let's do it!

Today's challenge, my very first one, was to "Define your dream." I am so glad I joined today because this was a great challenge for me and one that I would have hated to miss!

How to do it

Today's the day to dream big! Think about something that you really want - it might be the lead role in a Broadway show, a raise at work, a house in the mountains - and write it down. Next, think about what it will take to make your dream come true. Be as specific as you can. For example, instead of writing, "I want to go to Italy," include details about what that means: "I want to take a three-week trip to Tuscany this summer with my best friend." Next, list all the steps for making your dream a reality: (1) open a new bank account to save money for the trip; (2) put a certain amount of money aside each week; (3) purchase a travel guidebook; and so on.

Why it matters

Defining your dreams is the first step in making them come true. Once you know what you hope to achieve, you can start taking small steps toward making it really happen. Focusing on small steps keeps you motivated, too. With each one you accomplish, you move closer to getting what you want!

Fun Fact

In 1983, Jim Carrey wrote himself a check for $10 million for "acting services rendered." He post-dated it for 1994, with hopes of cashing it by then. That same year, he earned $7 million for his role in Dumb & Dumber.
How I did it:

I actually wrote it on an envelope since I didn't have a piece of paper in arm's reach. Getting up and looking for paper seemed like way too much work. How's that for challenging myself? :)

So what is my dream, you ask?

I really want to write a book. That is my dream and has been since I was in second grade when I won second place in the Dawn Powell writing contest for a fictional story I wrote about a girl and a magical wishing well. I'm pretty sure my mom still has the story. It would be fun to find it and put it on my blog. After reading it, we might all agree that it wasn't worthy of a second place award but it would be fun nonetheless.

So, I want to write a book. About what? I have no idea.

Maybe it would be about the lessons Mark taught me about living life fully and the obligation I feel to him to make sure I am living every day to the fullest because he can't, using the blog I kept of his journey as a starting point for the book.

Maybe it would be a novel about some story I create in my head.

Maybe it would be about life as a newlywed and the struggles of a young woman to become a young professional, housekeeper, cook and wife.

Who knows!

But to get me closer to that dream, I need to start writing every day. I really need to write more if I ever want this to happen. And I guess I need to start researching what really goes in to writing a book, if I want to make this more of a reality than a dream.

Does my dream surprise you? Would you buy my book? I would even autograph it for you...

What is YOUR dream?

Comments

Unknown said…
Emily, you should join NaNoWriMo in November - "National Novel Writing Month". People all over the world challenge themselves to write at least 50,000 words in one month. You support each other on the web through various forums and chats. It is a lot of frantic fun.

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!