Skip to main content

Get in the kitchen and make me some: Six Can Chicken Tortilla Soup

Six Can Chicken Tortilla Soup

Prep Time:
5 Min
Cook Time:
15 Min
Ready In:
20 Min

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ingredients

  • 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 1 (10 ounce) can chunk chicken
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
  • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers, drained

Directions

  1. Open the cans of corn, chicken broth, chunk chicken, black beans, and diced tomatoes with green chilies. Pour everything into a large saucepan or stock pot. Simmer over medium heat until chicken is heated through. 
--------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE soup. I could eat soup all year round, but I realize it's much better during the cold winter months. I know the cold weather won't be around much longer (we hope, right?) so I need to get all the soups and stews out of my system before it's too late. This was another featured recipe on allrecipes.com.

It doesn't get much easier than this. Seriously. You open all the cans, drain some of them, pour them in your sauce pan and heat it up. Voila. I didn't follow the recipe exactly. As usual, I read the reviews first and incorporated some of the suggestions. I only used 1 can of chicken broth and 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (low fat, of course). I omitted the black beans because I don't like them, and as you know by now, I only cook with ingredients I like. :)

It was a little unclear to me whether or not I was supposed to drain the chunked chicken or not. Since it didn't specifically say to drain it, I didn't. I don't like when things are open to interpretation with cooking! I didn't realize until copying and pasting the recipe for this blog that I was supposed to drain the diced tomatoes which means, I didn't when I prepared the recipe. I bought the HOT diced tomatoes and chiles. I am more of a mild or medium girl, myself, but it seems the Giant Eagle where I shop didn't want me to have those options so, hot it was.

Because I knew I would be getting more of a kick with the tomates and chiles than I would really want, I didn't go heavy on adding anything else. Just a dash of red pepper, chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. By the way, I love using the word "dash." It implies that I'm getting to the point where I don't even need to measure things anymore when I cook and am comfortable just using my best judgment. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself....

I coupled the recipe with some Jiffy cornbread muffins which I left in the oven too long (note to self - although the box says 15-20 minutes, 17 minutes is too long. Just stick with 15. Damn that "oven time may vary" statement.). I put 1/8 of a cup of shredded cheddar cheese (there are no "dashes" or unmeasured amounts of cheese with my recipes - I am calorie counting and can't afford to get carried away with fattening cheese), a dallop of fat free sour cream and two crumbled tortilla chips (yes, only two - again, I'm calorie counting) on top of the soup.

Pat gave the meal 2 thumbs up! I also really enjoyed it but am only going to give it one thumbs up and here's why: I didn't like the fact that when I ate the chicken I could totally tell that it was from the can. I could almost taste the metal. I guess that is to be expected when it did come out of a metal can but still, I don't want it to taste like it is! The perks of this recipe is that it's super easy and super fast and I want it to stay that way so next time I plan to put only the canned chicken in the sauce pan and cook it over medium-high heat until it's pretty well cooked. Then I will add the rest of the ingredients and cook over medium heat for the twenty minutes. I'm hoping if the chicken is cooked more thoroughly it will magically taste as if it didn't come from a can.

Comments

Tabi said…
Do you do any prep on the weekends or a few days before making your meals? When I'm feeling really ambitious, I will get home from the store and cut fruit for snacking, separate meats before freezing etc. If you take a day for kitchen prep, you might want to precook some chicken breasts, and stick 'em in the fridge. Then, if you make this soup again, all you would have to do it chunk up a piece of the chicken and throw it in the soup to heat up. This way, you could cook it the way you wanted, it wouldn't taste like it came from a can and it would still be a quick and easy after work meal since you already had the chicken ready to go.
Ericabee said…
YUM! I've been a super lazy cook lately. Gotten in a rut and have been making the same old things over and over again. Thanks for inspiring me to try something new!
Anonymous said…
I think you wouldn't taste the can had you drained and rinsed the chicken. I use it all the time, but buy the all white, drain it, and rinse it. But remember....I don't even like chicken!! Aunt Mindy

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I