Skip to main content

IT'S A BOY!

If you look closely at my finger you can see his male genitalia. If you look even closer at my ring finger, you will see that I am either engaged or married as well. Wow. I have so much to tell you. Okay, okay, you caught me. That's not my finger and that's not my sister's uterus. The picture was stolen off the internet. But you get the idea. My sister is expecting a baby boy on January 27! The name is still in the works, but it's looking like it might be Cooper. And I'm going to leave the whole name topic at that. I know some of you might be expecting me to elaborate on the last name and how much I dislike it. But I'm not doing it. You can't make me. So the kid isn't going to have the greatest last name, who cares. I've taken some slack for the last name Steele and I'm sure this baby will take some slack for his last name as well. Okay, you twisted my arm. Let's discuss it. My friend Aubrey and I came up with an action-verb for the last name. (k[e^]g)er*ize\, 1. to bring into an intoxicated state as a result of drinking from a keg, 2. to attract strongly, as with a magnet, to drinking out of kegs. And there you have it. Cooper Kegerize. I'm not sure how I feel about the sound of the double consonants, but then I keep remembering, it's not my baby! And thank goodness for that! Don't get me wrong, I'm starting to get excited about being an aunt. BUT...dealing with all of this "baby stuff" continues to reinforce just how much I am not ready to have children. Whether or not I will ever be ready is an entirely different question. As one of my professors says, we can discuss that over a warm cup of coffee or a cold beer. (Insert line break, per Ben's request here)

Tonight Betsy and I went to Target to do her gift registry. I'm not a frequent flyer in the baby sections of stores, and tonight reiterated exactly why that is. When you're in baby sections of stores there are usually babies. And where there are babies there is usually crying and screaming. In my observations this evening however, it typically wasn't the baby crying and screaming. It was there older toddler sibling. Regardless of who is doing the crying and screaming, those noises are like fingernails on a chalkboard to Emily. There was one little girl in particular who left a lasting impression on me tonight in Target. Either she missed the whole lesson on "inside voice" or she only gets out of the house like once a year. She didn't know if she was happy or sad. One minute she's screaming out of excitement because she saw a toy and then the next minute she's throwing a fit because she wants popcorn. I said out loud to my sister something along the lines of they better keep that kid quiet (there might have been some profanity used but you get the idea). Unfortunately for me, the dad was right at the end of our aisle. Talk about awkward. At first I thought he didn't heard me. Then, after he walked by and gave me a very evil look for what seemed like forever, I realized he definitely had heard me. I admit my words were uncalled for. However, we heard that child wherever she went in the store. And even the "child loving" Betsy eventually sad that she was out of control and needed discipline. I know I need to learn to be more patient with children. And I would like to do that. But at this point in my life, all I think about when I'm around screaming children is, what have I done to deserve this punishment? I would also like to add that I loved children until I was a lifeguard at a city pool for 4 summers. It was that experience that changed my view of these small creatures. You might be starting to get concerned for the safety of my nephew, but I promise you that I will never take out my frustration on him. I will just hit my sister instead. :) I kid, I kid.

Must get some sleep now. Goodnight.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You crack me up
Anonymous said…
You know I have been thinking about what Betsy should name her baby. I think Kari would be great, even for a boy.

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!