Skip to main content

Rain Rain Go Away!

Not a big fan of Mondays and not a big fan of rainy days. Therefore today was just a blah kind of day. I spent 4 1/2 hours with Jerome again today. I keep telling Pat he has nothing to worry about but I think he's starting to get suspicious. My love affair with Jerome is neither here nor there however. Let's get down to business.
On today's agenda, an update on Mark. Last Wednesday, Mark had CT scans done on his abdomen, chest, and neck. They were supposed to get all of the results that same day but unfortunately that wasn't the case. What we DO know: his abdomen and chest scans were great! We had to wait all weekend long not knowing about the neck. And of course, the longer you have to wait the more scenarios you put into your head. "Maybe they're taking so long because there's something wrong." Today Mark finally got a call about his neck scan but he didn't get to speak to the doctor. He spoke to the physician's assistant who gave him some unclear and misleading information. We're still not sure about the neck results but what we've gotten out of it so far seems promising. Hopefully we'll know more about that soon. IF the scan of his neck comes back clear then it is my understanding that at this particular time Mark is cancer free! The problem with being cancer free though, (I know what you must be thinking... problem with being cancer free?!?!? How can that be? I'll explain) when you're cancer free insurance isn't as likely to pay for any "preventive treatment." Mark might be eligible for another clinical trial in which he might be able to prevent cancer from spreading to his brain again. However, if he has no measurable amount of cancer in his body, the treatment would be preventive and therefore might not be covered. You don't want to get me started on that whole subject. Yeah I know, insurance companies are running a money-making business so they have to worry about making money, yada yada yada. HOWEVER, to a certain extent they hold people's lives in their hands. They have the ability to make or break someone taking measures to prevent diseases and often they break these opportunities by not helping people pay for them. Opps... looks like I got myself started on the subject. My apologies. I'm done now (I feel much better too - thanks!). Back to the good news. I am so happy for the good results but I think this roller coaster ride is catching up with all of us. It's hard to believe how mentally draining it really is getting good news then bad news then good news then bad news and worst of all, just never knowing what to expect with each new test. It's so hard being away from home with this going on too. When I'm living with them, when they know something, I know something. When I'm living in BG I sit and wait for them to call and then usually grow impatient and then start calling them and bugging them until they know something. Don't get me wrong, this is not a pitty-party for me. I feel terrible for my mom and Mark. I can't imagine what a toll this has on them. Well, it's way past the time I had designated as my "bed time" for the night. What's new. I have a lot more to tell you though. Coming up next: Where will my life will be taking me next year, interested in the sex of my sister's baby? How would you like to see a picture of my new car? Interested in the new house my Dad and Jill built? Would you like to know the potential breed of dog I picked so when I actually have time for a pet 5 years down the road I will be prepared? All this and more, after these messages. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
em... thanks for finally posting some blogs for your loyal readers.. i think i get more out of reading these than reading the daily globe.. lol.. but thats good news about mark so far..and i hope the rest goes well too...

cant wait to read about the upcoming stuff too...
Anonymous said…
dear Emily,

please use paragraph/line breaks for long blogs. you strain the eyes...especially for the slanty-eyed folk.

sincerely,
your cluttered blog.
Anonymous said…
Well said em, that is great news about mark!! I am going to beat up this Jerome guy for pat!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I