Skip to main content

Misery Loves Company

This picture was taken of me tonight after I took my huge exam (that I'm pretty sure I bombed - not literally - I don't do bombs, just guns and yellow high heels). Now that I've calmed down a bit, I feel kind of bad for shooting the computer because I know that it wasn't the real source of my frustration. I displaced my anger. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. I've heard the saying "misery loves company" many times throughout my life and I've met many people who have demonstrated this concept quite clearly. It wasn't until recently, however, that I actually became one of those people who, intentionally or not, bring other people down just because they are down. And since I'm down now, and "misery loves company," I figured why not try to bring you down too? :)

I wanted to start this evening by talking about right and left hand turns. Now before I go any further, I want to give you a moment to go back in time to driver's ed. For some of us that was about 7 or so years ago. For others, it's been much longer (yeah I'm talking about you, Mom). If I learned anything from my exam tonight, I know that memory recall is something that respondents struggle with, so take as long as you need. Okay, so we're back in drivers education class. True or false: when turning onto a 4 lane road, drivers should turn into the lane immediately closest to them. If you answered true, then you have confirmed my belief. If you have answered false, please leave a comment citing your source of the contrary belief and please use APA formatting. You know us grad students, all about the APA. I am sick and tired of turning into the lane closest to me, turning my blinker on to get into the other lane that I really wanted, only to look in my review mirror and see that I can't get over because the car behind me skipped the whole blinker/switching lanes deal and just went right to the lane they wanted. Now believe me, I'm all about taking short cuts here, so I'm not faulting the other drivers if it is indeed legal. However, I'm pretty convinced that it's not. As a result of my recent evil personality, I constructed a plan to turn this pet peeve of mine into something constructive (for me anyway). My new plan is to get rear-ended by this person while innocently switching lanes using my turning signal and the whole nine yards and then get all of the parts of my car fixed that need fixed now, at their expense. Smart plan, aye? (or an evil plan, depending on how you look at it - the glass is always half empty on this side of the computer screen). It's imperative to this plan and to my insurance policy, that I first confirm that the other car is in fact in the wrong. Until I find out for sure, I won't take any further action.

There are so many more miserable things I wanted to talk about but it seems that I must go to bed. Isn't it funny that as I get more and more stressed, the more and more I want to vent on my blog, yet more stress = less time = no time for blogging. Next time, I would really like to talk about my frustration with tests as a means of measuring ones aptitude. If we're speaking social scientifically here, it seems like we have a problem with validity and measurement error. Are we accurately measuring what we intend to measure by issuing tests? More to come on this at a later date. The wounds of today's test are still fresh and I don't want to be too harsh. Yeah right. Like I've ever had a problem being harsh. The truth is, I'm tired and don't have the time or energy to get into it right now. In the meantime, please feel free to share with me any times that you too have been miserable and wanted the other people around you to be miserable as well (if you are completely altruistic and have never experienced this feeling - lying is definitely okay in this situation to make the author of this entry feel better about his or herself).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!