Skip to main content

Must love cockroaches

I had an unfortunate incident a few weeks ago walking up the stairwell at my work. I had almost made it to the fifth floor when I heard the little pitter patter of some sort of insect. As I got up toward the landing, I saw a cockroach and it was running right at me. It jumped down on to the step where I was standing (in flip flops!) and it almost landed on my foot. It immediately turned to face me almost like it was preparing for a stand off. Not going to happen, cockroach. You win! Before the cockroach could blink it's eye I was gone. The incident left me shaken up for quite a while. I'm not sure what was most troubling for me: the fact that there are cockroaches in my place of employment or the fact that unlike other bugs that run away from humans, this one charged right at me. I called the owner of the building to complain about my fateful morning. She was less than surprised about the incident. She said they've been spraying in the stair well every Thursday because there are so many of them. She assured me however, that they would start spraying twice a week for good measure. She then told me that they aren't really cockroaches, they're water bugs. I think she was hoping that this would soothe me (if only she knew that I pretty much hate all bugs anyway - especially ones that exceed the size of my thumb!). I asked her what the difference between a waterbug and a cockroach is. She had no real explanation except something along the lines of the term waterbug being a little more politically correct than cockroach. "It makes people feel better when you call them that." Hmm...what people? Not me. She went on to warn me about our office leaving crumbs on the floor or food in the garbage as this will only attract the cockroaches in to our office. I've spotted a lot of dead cockroaches in the hallways and stairwell over the last year of my employment, but this was the first live encounter I've had. And it was all that I need. What reminded me of the incident is that this morning I spotted another dead cockroach in the stairwell. It really creeps me out. I honestly get nervous walking up the steps now because I never know what I'm going to find (another employee recently said there was a mouse in the stairwell). I don't remember my job description saying anything about "must be willing to tolerate very large insects." Doesn't your work have an elevator, you might be wondering. Oh yes, it does. It's a freight elevator. Not familiar with freight elevators. Think of the demon drop at Cedar Point. It's like that except there are no seats and you're not only the passenger, but also the conductor. I'm not sure which is the better choice at this point since I can't even count on my hands anymore the number of times people have gotten stuck in the freight elevator. So unless Rapunzel suddenly appears at my office offering to let me use her hair as a rope up to the office (and since I'm afraid of hair, this doesn't seem like a great option either) it looks like it's a catch 22 for me. Looking at this from the "glass is half full" perspective, which I've never been good at, at least I can say that there's always something exciting happening at work? That's the best I can do.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Haha this one cracks me up - especially the hair comment. I love your humor em...it always makes me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I