Skip to main content

Forever Young

At the faculty and staff orientation last week, our new principal and assistant principal announced that faculty and staff could wear the uniform polos and khaki pants on Fridays and the school would be providing us with the first polo! I was really excited about this. One less day I have to stand staring aimlessly into my closet in the morning, when my brain isn't functioning well anyway, while I try to decide what to wear that day. I was so excited that I went and paid the $20 to buy a second polo (in my favorite aqua blue) so that I could rotate between the two polos each Friday.

Today we had a pep rally at the school so we were allowed to wear our polos on Thursday (in addition to tomorrow). When I woke up this morning, there was no time wasted on figuring out what to wear. I was excited! That is, until I got dressed. When I was looking at myself in the mirror with my polo shirt tucked into my khakis, something just didn't feel right but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that my shirt was tucked in. I just haven't reached the age where I'm quite comfortable with that.

When I arrived to work this morning, the first co-worker I ran into said "Aww, you look cute in your uniform." Then it hit me. I looked like I was wearing a uniform, not a faculty/staff dress down day outfit! I had just gotten past all the "you look like you could be a student here" comments and then I go and dress just like a student. The day went downhill from there. We had a fire drill and a teacher mistook me for a student and started to ask me why I wasn't standing with the rest of the students. It became a running joke all day. The principal threatened to give me a detention for talking (then I REALLY felt like I was in high school again), another teacher told me I was violating the dress code because I didn't have socks on, etc.

I can take a joke as good as the next guy (no comments from the peanut gallery) and especially when it comes to jokes about my age I should be getting quite used to it! But when I asked people who were picking on me, what grade I looked like I was in and most of them said a freshman or sophomore, I quit thinking it was funny! I can't help it that my face is round and my cheeks are chubby. I have tried dying my hair brown and I look albino and unnatural. What do you want from me, people?

So what do you think? How old do I look in my "uniform?" And if you were me, would you try to get your money back on the above polo and never participate in faculty dress down day again?

Comments

jopye said…
Emily, you are an exceptional human being. You are beautiful, talented, extremely intelligent, creative, caring, thoughtful, responsible and a fun to be with person. And I bet every person that knows you would agree with me.

However, I do think you look young. (don't worry, I won't tease you about it) I guess I wouldn't like people telling I was beginning to look my age, so maybe it goes both ways. Love, Kathy Y
Aunt Mindy said…
Ahhhh..... Freshman and be proud of it!

Be thankful!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I