Skip to main content

The truth about the Easter Bunny

A big, inflatable Easter Bunny that we saw tonight
on our walk (like this) is what got me thinking about this story.
When I was about 6 or 7 years old, I wanted SO badly to figure out what was real and what was make believe as far as holidays and life were concerned. It was very important to me that I had all of my facts straight so that I could "plan for the future," so I told my parents. 

I was in second or third grade and there were a lot of rumors going around school about whether or not Santa Claus was real or make believe and I just had to know the truth. So I started hounding my parents for answers. I was begging them to tell me the truth. They were convinced that I was still too young to know the truth so they kept telling me, "of course Santa Claus is real."

I still wasn't convinced, even after all of the assurances that Santa Claus was real so I started explaining the very logical and practical reasons about why it was so important that I get to the bottom of this Santa Claus issue. I explained to my parents that if I spent the rest of my life believing that Santa Claus was in fact real, when I have children of my own, I won't buy them gifts because I assume that Santa would bring them and if it turns out that there is no Santa Claus, my kids won't have gifts at Christmas! Even at age 6 or 7 I was already aware of what a bad mother that would make me one day!

I was a pretty smart kid, huh? My dad thought so too and was pretty impressed with my logical reasoning. Just as he was about to give in and tell me the truth about Santa Claus, I said to him, "Now I know the Easter Bunny is real, but I'm just not sure about Santa Claus."

That's when my dad knew I was definitely not at the maturity level to know the truth about Santa Claus. A man delivering gifts to the homes of children seemed very skeptical to me, yet, a bunny, hopping from house to house delivering eggs and Easter Baskets seemed perfectly logical.

I'm pretty sure I learned the truth about Santa Claus that year anyway, when I caught my parents putting my brother's race track together around the tree on Christmas Eve. They tried to say something like "Santa delivered it but we had to put it together," but I wasn't buying it. After all, I was way too smart for that. ;)

Comments

Elaine said…
Haha this is so funny....also such a coincidence because over spring break we were going through old home videos and watched one with you, Betsy, Kyle, Will, and I at Nana and Pop-pop's for Easter, at about the age you were talking about. It was pretty amusing, especially now that I know how avidly you were believing!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!