Skip to main content

Get in the kitchen and make me some: Potato Salad

"<span class=

"Healthified" Classic Potato Salad

53% fewer calories • 74% less fat • 75% less sat fat than the original recipe—see the comparison. Feel good about passing this slimmed salad at picnics and potlucks!


Prep Time: 30 min Total Time: 1 hr 30 min Servings: 8 servings (3/4 cup each)
Ingredients
  • Salad
  • 6 medium red potatoes (2 lb), unpeeled
  • 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
  • 2 medium stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
  • Dressing
  • 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Directions
  1. Place potatoes in 4-quart saucepan; add enough water just to cover potatoes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain; let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into cubes.

  2. In large bowl, place potatoes, eggs, celery and onion; toss gently to mix. In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients until well blended.

  3. Add dressing to potato mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour or until serving time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first impression after making this recipe is that it takes waaaay too long. It took me an hour and a half! (Which, upon further review, is exactly how long the recipe said it would take). Going to the store and buying a cheap container of potato salad seems A LOT easier. But I digress....

Okay, first step: boil the redskin potatoes and the eggs. Not too difficult, if of course, you know how long you're supposed to boil eggs and I do not. So I have to google it. Source says put eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, reduce to low, simmer for 1 minute, remove from heat and cover for 10-12 minutes. That's what I did. To a T. And guess what? They aren't done! I'm pretty sure hard boiled eggs aren't supposed to be bright yellow. Oh well. I'm using them anyway!

While I'm letting the eggs and potatoes cool, I start chopping the celery. What knife should you use to cut celery? I always struggle with choosing the right knife. "Thinly sliced," the recipe says. Well that's kind of a subjective statement, don't you think? What exactly does thinly sliced mean? Mine doesn't even look sliced. It looks chopped.

Okay, so now I'm supposed to cut the potatoes into cubes. What sized cubes are we talking about? I'm trying to remember how big the potatoes usually are in potato salad, but I don't eat it that often because I hate onions (side note - the beauty of making homemade potato salad is that I can omit the onions). Okay, so the skin of the redskin potatoes is completely coming off as I'm "cubing." Is that normal?

Next I mix up the dressing. Impressive. I didn't screw it up! BUT... I came VERY close to just dumping the mayonnaise right into the potatoes instead of mixing it with the other sauce ingredients separately. Probably wouldn't have done too much damage, but another example of how I (almost) screw up following directions in recipes. Now I put it in the refrigerator for an hour and wait for my guinea pig, I mean my husband Pat, to get home and try it.

Questions for the Martha Stewart's out there:

How do you boil eggs?
What knife would you have used to cut the celery and/or potatoes?
How would you have cubed the redskin potatoes?

Pat's Review:

"It was awesome." And a big thumbs up! That's what I like to see.

My Review:

Definitely worth the time it took to make. You would NEVER know it was made with low fat/fat free ingredients. If you invite me to a picnic this summer...I will bring you some. :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Pat looked very happy, and he should be happy--he is the chief beneficiary of your blog products!
emmysmother said…
Pat sure looks happy. Of course, he should be happy--he is the chief beneficiary of your blog products!
Patrick's mom said…
Patrick looks like he is enjoying your efforts on the potato salad but wait! Patrick always looks like he is enjoying himself when he is eating!!!!

Seriously, you two look like you are losing weight & staying trim & thin and a recipe that tastes good & is good for you is great!

I boil eggs for about a minute & then, turn off the heat & cover the pan with a lid & let it sit for about 10 minutes. I must use the same Betty Crocker recipe that was on-line. It's okay for the egg yolks to be yellow, just not runny. I think that you did great!

Can't wait for the next recipe!!! How fun!!!
Aunt Faith said…
Well this is fun Emily!!! I like the recipe and think i will make it the next time. Does Pat know what a great gal he married!!???Im sure he does.Keep the recipes coming for the old married couples, we need new items on the menu!!!!
Your favorite SIL said…
That celery definitely looks chopped not sliced. Work is needed in this area of your cooking...

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I