Skip to main content

Get in the kitchen and make me some: Turkey, Bacon and Guacamole Wraps

Wrap up dinner in 15 minutes with a cool turkey, bacon and "guac" sandwich.
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 15 min
Makes: 4 wraps
Ingredients
1ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed
1tablespoon Old El Paso® taco sauce
1/4teaspoon garlic salt
4Old El Paso® flour tortillas for burritos (8 inch; from 11-oz package)
8oz thinly sliced cooked turkey
8slices packaged precooked bacon (from 2.2-oz package)
4leaves romaine lettuce
1/4
cup drained roasted red bell peppers (from 7-oz jar), large pieces cut up

Directions







Print these coupons...
















About Concordance™




1.
In small bowl, mix avocado, taco sauce and garlic salt. Spread about 1 tablespoon on each tortilla.
2.
Top tortillas with turkey; spread with any remaining avocado mixture. Top with bacon, lettuce and bell peppers.
3.
Fold in sides of each tortilla; roll up. Cut each in half. Serve immediately, or wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap, then refrigerate until serving or up to 24 hours.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay. So I've encountered this a few times before. The recipe claims it takes "15 minutes prep time" and "15 minutes total time." BUT.... when you dig a little deeper (or actually start to make the recipe) you will soon find out that this is somewhat deceiving.

The recipe assumes that the avocado has already been pitted peeled and mashed (well that doesn't happen on it's own... someone actually has to pit it, peel it and mash it and that person is ME). Already we've added 5 minutes to the recipe.

Next, it assumes your bacon is already cooked and crumbled. I didn't know they sold pre-cooked bacon (other than bacon bits), plus, I like to cook with turkey bacon. 65% less fat than pork bacon! Pat will be the first to tell you, it doesn't taste the same as regular bacon. BUT, for those of us who can't eat whatever we want and stay skinny (or eat healthy and still not even get skinny), it's a great alternative! Okay, so now we've cooked the bacon and added an additional 15 minutes to the recipe. (I cooked extra bacon because we're also having baked potatoes with this meal and you don't have to feel nearly as guilty topping your baked potato with fat free sour cream and turkey bacon).

Instead of using the red peppers (if I had a fresh one, I would have used that versus the canned peppers) but I had neither so I'm using a tomato instead. Sounds like a good substitute, right? My husband was kind enough to cook the bacon for me (he's such a helper!) so I chopped the tomato while the bacon was cooking.

After the bacon has cooled, it's time to crumble it. If you've cooked with turkey bacon before, you know that it doesn't really crumble all that easily. So I just settle for large chunks. I'm okay with it if you are. :)

It's a good thing that I asked Pat to pick up the tortillas on his way home from work. He got "sandwich wraps" instead of "taco wraps." I had no idea there was a difference. See, I'm such a rookie! I put the wraps in the microwave for 30-40 seconds between two damp paper towels, as indicated on the package, so that they wrap a little easier.

Where I saved calories and fat by using turkey bacon, I made up for them by adding shredded cheddar cheese to the wrap. I would do it again, too. It definitely added a lot (of taste that is, and calories and fat...)

I'm beginning to really understand the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen." After his years of experience at the Old World Deli in Brunswick, Pat considers himself to be a true sandwich artist (I'm not saying I disagree) so he is a bit of a control freak when it comes to making sandwiches, wraps, tacos, etc. For this reason, I let him do the wrapping and I simply took notes (and pictures). I must say, he does fold a pretty mean wrap.

The baked potatoes didn't turn out quite the way I was hoping, but they were still pretty good. The crust wasn't as crispy as I had planned and even with the sour cream and bacon, they still tasted like they were missing something (like salt). Maybe I didn't poke enough holes in them (which by the way, was great therapy) or maybe I didn't leave them in long enough. I baked them for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.

The wraps on the other hand, were Delicious with a capital D! With a thumbs up and a roll of his eyes, Pat admitted that he loved the wraps even WITH the turkey bacon! He did quickly add that they would have been even better with real bacon. Nonetheless, we both HIGHLY recommend this recipe.

AND...the mashed avocado with taco sauce and garlic salt is actually a great, simple guacamole recipe. I've never made guacamole before so I have no idea what ingredients are normally included, but this was a really easy and quite tasty recipe. I wrote out a separate recipe card just for the guacamole dip.

Nothing like starting the week off with a new, delicious recipe!

Questions for the cooks:

Any suggestions for the perfect baked potato with a crispy crust and delicious inside?
How do you make your guacamole?

Comments

Patrick's mom said…
You got Patrick to eat TURKEY bacon? You really do have a magical spell on him!!! The wraps look delicious! Can't wait to try them! When is our next get-together?
Julie said…
Baked Potatoes:

Try to find 2 potatoes about the same size.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Wash and dry with paper towel.
Poke about 12 holes with a fork on each side.
Lightly coat skins with canola oil and sea salt.
Place potatoes directly on oven rack(place a cookie sheet beneath them.)
Bake for about an hour, then cut in half with fork.
Viola!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!