Skip to main content

Hey, Macaroni!

As I was searching for the perfect "macaroni" picture to accompany this blog entry, I stumbled upon a pretty amusing website that really captures the title of this blog. You can view it here, but only if you promise to come back and finish reading. :)

Anyway, Pat and I ended up having somewhat of a last minute cook out at our house last Friday. Several of Pat's friends were here from out of town so 8 of them came over and I was in charge of the cooking. With my new found cooking enthusiasm, I was really excited about this! Of course I made the potato salad recipe (which I'm quite sick of now, by the way), spinach artichoke dip, cheese, crackers and pepperoni and I also made crock pot macaroni and cheese. It's a delicious recipe that I stumbled across last year and made a few times.

When I find recipes online, I don't print them out but rather just use them right from the computer screen. If I like them, that's when I hand write the recipe onto an index card, noting any modifications I made, etc. One thing I usually forget to write on the index card is how many people the recipe serves. I couldn't remember how many servings the macaroni and cheese recipe made last year and I couldn't find the same recipe online. So I decided to be safe, I better double it. Turns out the original recipe makes more than enough for 10 people. After I doubled it, I had enough macaroni and cheese to feed a small army (or the entire population on Sweetbriar Drive). We ate it for dinner on Friday at the cook out and had some for lunch on Saturday. We took it to the lake with us on Sunday to try to get rid of it, but no one ate any. So we brought the entire dish back with us. I packed it for lunch on Monday and Pat and I both ate it for dinner on Monday night. I packed it for lunch on Tuesday and Pat and I both ate it for dinner on Tuesday night. It is safe to say, I am sick of the macaroni and cheese!

As I said, the recipe is really yummy and I always get good reviews after I make it but you can only eat so much of something before you feel like you have it coming out of your ears. Not only am I sick of eating it, I also have a few complaints about the recipe. Obviously if it's made in the crock pot, it isn't a fast recipe. It takes at least 3 hours to cook and definitely more if you use the amount of milk the recipe calls for (which I learned the hard way not to do).

I also don't like the fact that it calls for Velveeta Cheese. I was searching all over the place for this cheese at the grocery store and couldn't find it anywhere. Why wouldn't it be with all the other cheeses? I asked someone where I could find it and they took me over to the isle with the boxed meals and canned soups. Duh. Why didn't I think of that? Cheese that doesn't even have to be refrigerated...now that is scary! Doesn't quite meet the standard I've been trying to set with eating healthy. BUT...all the other macaroni and cheese recipes I've made are dry and lacking flavor. Only the fake cheese turns out moist and flavorful. Go figure!

I almost forgot my biggest complaint with this recipe. THE CLEAN UP! Oh. My. Goodness. It took me 2 days of soaking the crock pot and no less than 30 minutes of scrubbing to get it clean. Not to mention all the dishes we dirtied storing and eating the stuff (remember - it was at least 5 meals between the two of us). I have about 6 dishes in the sink right now soaking in hot, soapy water. This fake cheese really sticks to dishes! (Yes - if you were counting the days in your head, I obviously haven't cleaned a single dish since Saturday...I've said it before and I'll say it again, Betty Homemaker I am NOT).

Well I think I've talked enough about macaroni and cheese. I had no idea I had so much to say about it!

One more thing: Does anyone have any good macaroni and cheese recipes they would like to pass along?

Tonight I'm trying a new recipe! Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken with Penne Pasta on the side. I will most definitely let you know how it goes. Until then...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!