Skip to main content

27 weeks


Week: 27
Baby length:
14.5 inches
Baby weight:
2 lbs. - the weight of a head of cauliflower
Bump size:
38.25 inches (same as last week)
Weight:
+21 pounds (+1 lb. from last week)
Cravings:
Jimmy Johns sub

Cravings

I have to say, the sweets cravings are getting better. Don't get me wrong, I still like to have a little dessert after dinner, but doesn't everyone (my non-pregnant self excluded)?

But as long as I demonstrate portion control - which I do - I don't see a problem with an ice cream sandwich or a small cup of sherbet after dinner. And if that's bad, then I don't want to be good.

I have been craving Jimmy Johns since the day my doctor told me to avoid eating deli meat. On Saturday, I finally gave in to the temptation. Instead of ordering the usual, turkey tom, I had the vegetarian sub. It was amazing. I didn't even miss the turkey. I want another one right now.

Baby Movements

My sister and my nephew Max were both able to feel the baby move while they were here. Max wanted to know if it hurts me when the baby kicks. I told him no and let's hope it stays that way!


My new favorite thing to do is feel around my belly for the hard spots to try to figure out where the baby is. Sometimes my whole belly is soft and it's nowhere to be found but most of the time, I can find it. It keeps me entertained.


Maternity Lessons

I've been saying I'm going to build a list of things not to say to pregnant women and after all the comments I've received in the last week, I'm ready to start the list. *Please note, this list is not all inclusive and will continue to grow, I'm sure, in the coming weeks.

"You looked really good on Saturday. I was surprised."
"You still look cute for being pregnant."
"Are you sure there aren't twins in there?"
"When are you due? Really? Are you sure you're not due sooner?"
"Your belly officially enters the room before you do."
"You still have three months left and they are going to be the hottest three months yet."

I think it's worth making a separate list for things husbands should not say to their pregnant wives.

"Wow! Your belly looks huge!"
"Should I avoid your love handles when measuring your belly?"
"There is no way in heck I'm going furniture shopping today."
"No." 

Nursery

My sister came this weekend and made our curtains for us. She is so crafty and I'm so jealous of her talents but so thankful she's willing to share them with me. She whipped these bad boys out in like 30 minutes and they are absolutely perfect. Exactly what I envisioned for the room. Thanks, Betsy!
The curtains my sister made for the nursery. Exactly what I had envisioned!
Symptoms

Back pain is still an issue. The experiment with tucking pillows under my back when I sleep was an epic failure for many reasons. One night, I woke up to go to the bathroom (which is increasing in frequency again) and the big pillow I had lodged under my back fell off the bed and right onto Grady's head, who was sleeping on the floor, who then jumped up and freaked out.

Pat woke up and saw me on the ground apologizing to Grady and thought I had fallen so then he was freaking out. At that point, we were all awake and had a big party in our bedroom at 3:30 a.m. A good time was had by all.

So in addition to the logistical issues that trying to sleep with four pillows poses, I'm also not sure they are even helping with the back pain. But I will tell you what is: my trusty old lumbar support pillow.

We are best friends forever and inseparable at this point. I even took it out of the plastic. How's that for commitment? Whenever I'm using it, my back does not hurt. And I miss it as soon as I don't have it. My doctor really hit the nail on the head with this one. Guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Weight Gain

Okay. Whose idea was it for me to weigh myself every week, anyway? Quite frankly, I'm not enjoying it anymore. It's bad enough to have to look at the scale, do the math in my head (which then gives me a headache because I HATE math) and figure out how much total weight I have gained. But then to have to come and report that weight gain on my blog for all to see - cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me.

I know, no one is forcing me to do it. But I always say I'm going to be real and honest on my blog so as much as I would like to stop, I'm going to continue weighing and continue sharing it with you. But I promise, I'm not going to enjoy it.

Gender Prediction

Pat had his first dream about the baby last night. He dreamt we had a boy who looked like the perfect mix of the two of us, he said. So now we have both dreamt that we are having a boy. Very interesting!

But in Pat's dream, the baby came out and could already talk. Someone walked by the baby in our hospital room with a box of cereal and the baby said, "Cereal." Weird. Pat now thinks we're going to have a genius baby.

Comments

Jen Duffy said…
I know its probably not appropriate to laugh out loud when reading your pregnancy blog, but I can't help it! Lets hope baby R isn't a big boy or girl (in terms of weight), Seans brother weighed like 13lbs when he was born so the standing joke is that he drove Jack and Katie home from the hospital so maybe Pats dream is onto something!!!
Julie D said…
I can't believe some of the things people say! Have you ever seen those you tube videos? You could do a little spinoff like "sh*t people say to pregnant women". I love, love, love the curtains!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!