Skip to main content

28 weeks


Week: 28
Baby length:
14.8 inches
Baby weight:
2.25 lbs. - the weight of a head of lettuce
Bump size:
38.75 inches
Weight:
+22.5 pounds (+1.5 lbs. from last week)
Cravings:
Zucchini bread and birthday cake

Cravings

My SIL Leann and I made four loaves of zucchini bread last Friday. She kept two loaves (at my inlaws) and Pat and I took the other two. I can't stop eating it!

But it's not really a dessert. It's a bread. There's a difference. And Pat has been eating just as much (if not more) than I have. And as far as I know, he's not pregnant!

I also turned 29 this week and my MIL and SIL made me a birthday cake, and my coworker made me red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. YUM! Even the dessert nazi said I can eat cake on my birthday (and the day after...). 

Baby Movements

I felt the baby's hiccups for the first time this week. I woke up in the middle of the night to a pulse-like vibration coming from my belly about every second. Since then I think the baby has had hiccups once or twice more.

While I used to feel the baby move only once or twice a day, it is moving much more frequently now - many times throughout the day. It is most active first thing in the morning and then right before bed. The movements are definitely stronger than anything we've felt before. It provides us with our entertainment before bed.

Maternity Lessons

I have a few items to add to the list of things not to say to pregnant women:

"When are you due? Are you sure you're going to make it to October?"
"You have officially entered the worst part of pregnancy: the final trimester."

In other news, I had my Glucose Screening Test this week. The lab was packed and I waited 40 minutes just to be asked why I was there. I was too embarrassed to bring my lumbar support pillow inside with me so by the time they called my name, my back was killing me.

I was given the orange, sugary drink and told I had 5 minutes to drink it. I timed myself and it took me exactly 3 minutes. I should have just chugged it because by the last sip, it was hard to swallow. But it still wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. After I finished the drink, they started the one hour timer. I was told I could wait in the lab, in the main building lobby or even my car, just as long as I stayed on their property. 

Since my back was already hurting, I decided to go out to my car and get my lumbar support pillow and just wait in the main building lobby, where it would be empty and quiet. And it almost was. Except for one girl who had made herself quite comfortable with her shoes off and legs up laying down on the only couch.

I sat down a few chairs away and smiled at her but then started keeping myself busy on my phone. Things were quiet for ten minutes or so until she sat up, smiled at me, said hello and then started in on twenty questions.

I spent the next 40 or so minutes answering her questions about how much weight I've gained, what I like to cook for dinner, why we don't eat more rice (she was Indian and I think interested in our culture), if I've felt the baby move, etc. The questions didn't bother me too much, except for the fact that the sugary drink was starting to make me feel nauseous and I just wanted to sit in silence.

But what was worse than her questions was the fact that she was burping constantly and she wasn't even attempting to be discreet about it. Some were full out belches. Each time she burped, I felt more nauseous. At one point, I thought I was going to get sick and have to start the test all over again.

Luckily I didn't, but I have never been so excited to get my blood drawn before in my life! Perhaps the busy lab waiting room wouldn't have been so bad after all.

I met with my doctor today and got my results. No gestational diabetes! To celebrate, I ate more birthday cake and another red velvet cupcake.

Symptoms

So it seems I get heartburn only when I eat tomato-based sauces. I made my Grandma's spaghetti recipe and had pretty bad heartburn after eating it. And I ate it twice. I just never learn!

The lumbar support pillow is still saving my life, one back muscle at a time. As long as I'm using it, I have no back pain. But if I go for even a half an hour sitting without it, I pay for it. And there are still certain situations I'm just not comfortable using it.

For example, I had a work meeting at a well-known local attorney's 55-acre estate (Tim Misny, in case you've heard of him). His tagline is, "I'll make them pay," and I certainly paid for the one and half hour meeting without my pillow. My back was killing me. Pat says he has a hard time feeling sorry for me if I choose not to use my pillow.

This coming from the guy who is too embarrassed to pack his lunch in a lunch box so he uses shopping bags instead. But the reality is, I have 12 more weeks of back pain to look forward to so I better just swallow my pride and start taking this pillow anywhere where I will be sitting down. But it would be nice if I could at least find a discreet way to transport it.

Maybe Pat can carry it around for me in a shopping bag?

Weight Gain

It is what it is. What else can I say? Doctor didn't say anything about it at my appointment today. In fact, he said I'm looking good and measuring good so whatever. Weight is nothing but a number, right?

Gender Prediction

We were out on Saturday night when I woman asked when I was due. She told me she could tell I was having a boy by the way I was carrying. Though she was slightly intoxicated, a prediction is still a prediction so there you have it.

Comments

Katydid said…
You look amazing :)

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!