Skip to main content

36 weeks


Week: 36
Baby length:
18.75 inches
Baby weight:
5.75 lbs. - the weight of a gallon of apple cider (or a crenshaw melon, depending on who you ask)
Bump size:
43 inches (up almost 3 inches from last week!)
Weight: +33.5 pounds (+3 lbs. from last week)
Cravings:
Chips and cake (not at the same time - chips for dinner and cake for dessert)

So yes, week 36 is technically supposed to be a crenshaw melon. I had never heard of such a melon but after a little research, discovered it is a cross between a cassaba melon and a cantaloupe.

Supposed to be very tasty, too. So I was excited to have an excuse to buy (and eat) one. But as it turns out, I don't think such a melon actually exists - not at my grocery store, anyway.

After a brief panic attack and a near meltdown in the fruit department at Giant Eagle (and a threat of giving up on the weekly fruit pictures all together), I spotted the gallon of apple cider and thought it looked mighty tasty (and it is) so I decided it was going to be my "fruit" of the week.

Truth be told, a gallon of apple cider actually weighs much more than 5.75 pounds (yes, I actually weighed it) but sometimes when life throws you lemons instead of crenshaw melons, you have to get creative. I'm sure you understand.

Maternity Lessons

We already know that I'm absolutely terrified of the life changes that are coming my way with this baby so no need to belabor (no pun intended) that issue. But there were a few things that happened this week that actually made me feel much better than I was feeling at this time last week.

First of all, my best friend since ninth grade in high school became a mom! And right after last week's post where I spilled my guts about my motherly fears, I get a text message from her saying, "Emily, being a mom is awesome!!"

Sweet baby girl Karter
Not only did her text give me goosebumps because I'm so extremely happy for her, but it also made me feel more calm about going through the process myself. She also said the labor pain is totally worth it. I didn't mind hearing that either.

On Saturday I got to spend the entire day with her and her new baby girl Karter and I learned SO much just by observing and talking to her which calmed a lot of my fears too.

Then on Tuesday, the ladies I work with surprised me with a shower! It was so cute and so nice of them. They all left me wishes on a card and I felt like so many of them were saying the same thing, "Life will never be the same - it will be better." This is exactly what I needed to hear and it was so comforting. 
I work with the sweetest ladies ever! Such a nice surprise work shower!
We had our last birthing class on Tuesday. Hard to believe we made it through five weeks of classes already. I don't know where the time went. In this last class we focused on taking care of the newborn. The 2 1/2 hours flew by and I didn't want the class to end. I had so many more questions I could have asked!

We practiced giving the baby (doll) a sponge bath, swaddling it, picking it up, changing its diaper, etc. We went over basics about choosing the right bottles, tummy time, trimming the baby's fingernails and lots and lots of other really useful information. Now let's just hope I remember it...

I had my weekly appointment and the doctor said everything is looking good. The baby's head is still down and is measuring about a week ahead which he said isn't too bad but he suggested that I have the baby soon so it doesn't keep getting bigger. Then he laughed. If only it were that easy!

Next Friday he will begin to check me for "progress." So now it's just a sit and wait game. I will be considered full term on Thursday, September 20, so he said hopefully I will go into labor soon. Now I just walk around like some sort of ticking time bomb and wait for something to happen! Such a weird feeling.

We still don't have our hospital bag packed so we should probably get that taken care of soon, just to be on the safe side.

Baby Movements

Still feeling lots of movement and when the baby gets hiccups now, it actually moves my entire belly.

I got some great advice from one of the weekly email updates I receive. It was a reminder about how easy it is to wish the remaining weeks of the pregnancy away because of the aches and pains but instead, it is important to try to enjoy what time I have left of this special time feeling my baby move inside of me. So that is what I'm trying to do.

Symptoms

Still having some cramping on and off and I would say they are a little stronger than they were last year but definitely not unbearable and they don't "hurt like hell" which is when my doctor said I will know I'm getting real contractions. But hopefully my body is doing lots of practicing and getting ready for the big day.

One day this week I had the worst heartburn to date. And once again, my lips flared up too - swollen and felt like they were on fire. Someone told me that the lips could be a side effect of the heartburn. Who knew?

My feet are pretty swollen and I am officially wearing flip flops to work - except for today because it was too cold. Fall isn't really great flip flop weather but desperate times call for desperate measures and other than tennis shoes, I really have no other options.

I still don't have much energy. I want to scrub our house from top to bottom but I have no energy after work to even start. I have the most energy on the weekends but haven't had a free day on the weekend in a few weeks.

I'm hoping this Sunday (my only free day this weekend) will be my cleaning day. We'll see how that goes.

Weight Gain

Yikes. Baby only gained half a pound this week and I gained three. But considering my bump grew almost three inches in the last week, maybe the baby and I are both gaining more than we should be. But guess what? I stopped caring.

If I want to eat my baby shower cake, I'm going to eat it. If I want a pumpkin spice cookie, I'm going to eat it. If I want a zucchini brownie, I'm going to eat it. You get the idea. And if I want to eat all three instead of dinner, I just might.

Gender Prediction

Everyone has their opinions about what we are having and now you can make your guesses official on our baby website. Click here to enter the pool and pick when you think the baby will be born, how much it will weigh and whether it will be a boy or a girl. You can also suggest names for us. We are getting some good ones like Shelby Whippet Robinson.

Comments

Unknown said…
You guys are going to be such great parents!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!