Skip to main content

Our humble abode

I don't think I've shared with you how very much I love my new home. I stand corrected. Our new home. I have spent the past 6 years living in dorm rooms and apartments. Places you know are only temporary and therefore never really get the feeling of being "home" when you're there (**I recognize that some people live in apartments for a long period of time and do treat them as a home - this just never happened for me). When you live somewhere that you know is only temporary, you never really go that extra mile to dress it up and make it your own. You don't even care for it in the same way that you would if it were yours. In a house that you know is yours, however, you really value it and take extra good care of it (maybe because you know if something goes wrong - it's on you! No landlord or maintenance person to call. And trust me - the honey-do lists don't have nearly the same sense of urgency).

Okay, so enough about all of that boring home ownership glory stuff. My favorite part of my new home? The big back yard and the nature that fills it. I should first clarify what I mean by "big" as I realize it is a subjective term. I'm using the term big as it relates to Cleveland standards - or all major suburbs standards I guess. We have 1/2 an acre. Going back to my 419 roots for a moment - this isn't that big to me. My mom lives on 5 acres and my dad lives on 13. However, as you know, I've had to change (aka lower - jk!) my standards when I moved to Cleveland and 1/2 an acre is pretty good! We have a big fenced in backyard that backs up to a park-like view. In this area just beyond our fence, we have spotted on many different occasions a lot of wildlife. Just two nights ago, we walked to the end of our property for about 10 minutes and saw a giant hawk (a bird of prey, I remind you!), 3 deer (1 doe and 2 babies), and a fox! The first fox I've ever seen that up close and personal in a Cleveland suburb! Not at my mom's on 5 acres, not at my dad's on 13 acres, but in Cleveland! We also frequently see 3 bucks (1 is a giant 8 point!), have the biggest groundhog I've ever seen living in our backyard (possibly under our deck?) and several chipmunks living under our garage. According to Pat the chipmunks and groundhog are destroying the foundation on our house and our garage. He's not really comfortable with their existence on our property. I prefer the living in harmony scenario myself.

I realize this is a boring post and I'm sorry. But me and my new retainer are boring. Much less dynamic and animated so as not to outburst in laughter and therefore result in the showing of the metal mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!