Skip to main content

Will swim for sticks

We had another great weekend! I was so excited to be home from Dayton and be back with my "pack" as Grady thinks of us. Being away from home is a great reminder of how much you love being there and gives you a new sense of appreciation for the phrase "home sweet home" when you return (especially if you spent three nights in a dorm room). Both Friday and Saturday night were very low key. Dinner and watching a movie at home, just the two (or three) of us.

Friday night was Pat's choice so we watched Gladiator. I have been trying to dodge watching this movie for, oh, I don't know, the entire 5 years Pat and I have been together? Finally, when it arrived in the mail from Netflix on Friday and I realized how excited Pat was for us to watch it together, I succumbed. And I have to admit, despite the violent parts (which I tried not to watch), I really did think it was a good movie.

On Saturday night, we went to dinner at Max & Erma's and used our anniversary gift card (thanks again, MacAskill's) and we sat on the patio. We then went up to the lake and tried to catch the sunset but we just missed it. It was still beautiful, what was left of it. A few weeks back we found online information about the only beach on the West side that is dog friendly so we set off to find it. We were successful and decided we would definitely be returning with our dog. As for the movie Saturday night, it was my choice. I've been trying to get Pat to watch Slumdog Millionaire for a few years now too and finally he gave in (wow, isn't compromise GREAT?). We both really enjoyed that movie too!

On Sunday we had lots of running around to do. Sunday errand number one: operation beach chair. I have been on a mission to find reclining beach chairs (or chaise lounges as I learned they are called) that I can use to soak up some rays in our backyard while reading during whats left of my summer hours (rough life, I know). After doing some research online and at a few local stores (Home Depot, Wal Mart and Target) I realized that I wasn't going to be able to find any that I could afford. The cheapest I could find was $80 for one! I had NO idea they were going to be so expensive. Then on Saturday, while Pat was golfing and I was bored, I started looking on Craig's list. Low and behold, I found my dream chairs! And the price was RIGHT! Both of the chairs (with cushions) only $20! Maybe it's because I watch too much Dateline or maybe it's because I'm smart (or a combination) but I decided it wouldn't be a good idea to drive to this man's house by myself to look at the chairs while Pat was golfing. So it became a Sunday project. We went to look at the chairs and both agreed, it was a great deal. We are now the proud owners of two, fully reclining, padded chaise lounges. YES! (And - the guy was completely harmless and in fact, I'm pretty sure he's not interested in women at all anyway...BUT...you never know!).

Sunday errand number two: operation ceiling fan. We have been without a ceiling fan in our bedroom for a few months now, ever since Pat accidentally broke one of the blades off, while the fan was in full motion, when he was helping make the bed. He really did earn the title of Irish Dinosaur didn't he? :) Yes, this is the same bedroom that doesn't really get any of the central air so a fan is a big must. We've already been to Home Depot twice to find "the perfect fan." During our second trip, I realized there is no perfect fan and to be honest, I don't really care anymore what it looks like as long as it keeps me from having night sweats! So we settled on this beauty and called it a day (thanks to Grandma and Grandpa Dillon for our anniversary gift which funded this fan!).

When we got home, we decided to take our furry friend up to the lake to test out the waters. Keep in mind, when Grady was young and fearless (actually, he was never fearless), we didn't know about this beach so this was his very first time seeing Lake Erie. At first, he was not impressed. We were having trouble getting him to leave the steps which practically take you right into the water. I thought he was going to wiggle out of his collar. After a little coaxing, he finally made his way to the water and was terrified of the waves. He would start to wander out and then sprint away as soon as a wave started coming. Once Pat and I started to go out further into the water, he started to follow and I think he realized that is was actually quite fun! He became a swimming (and lake water drinking) machine! Especially when Pat showed him that he could swim for his favorite treat, sticks!


When we got back from the lake, we gave Grady a much needed bath. Did I forget to mention that in addition to playing in the water, Grady also likes to roll around in the sand? Then Pat cleaned our cars (inside and out!) while I sat in my new beach chair and continued reading Marley and Me (obviously, Pat wins for being more productive).

What a wonderful life we have! I feel very blessed.

How was your weekend?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I