Skip to main content

Get in the kitchen and make me some: Crunchy Nacho Dogs & Homemade Crispy Fries

Epic fail. That's all there is to say. Okay, fine. I'll explain. The nacho dogs (recipe here) were a disaster from start to finish. Actually, I was doomed before I even started because as soon as I read the line, "a great recipe for kids to cook," all I could think about was screwing up a recipe that was so easy a "kid could do it." I didn't find it to be all that easy. Whether or not it should have been is another story.

The first step was as simple as opening the croissants and getting them out of the packaging. I'm not going to lie. I always get nervous when I'm opening the biscuits and croissants packaging because I know it's going to "pop open" when you least expect it. Tonight I was like Will Ferrell as Buddy the Elf when he's turning the jack-in-the-box and nervously waiting for it to pop open. And just like the movie goes, when it didn't immediately pop open, I was convinced that it wasn't going to. I thought maybe since I bought the generic croissants that they open differently. Then when I was least expecting it, it burst open with an even louder pop than usual. I screamed and jumped out of my skin. I was the only one home (other than the furry witnesses) so I could have easily omitted this detail, but in the interest of full disclosure and self-deprecation, I must tell all. Opening the croissants was strike one.

Strike two happened when I couldn't figure out how to take 8 of the tiny croissant triangles and make them into 4 big triangles, as the recipe (vaguely) described. I am not exaggerating when I say that I stood there for no less than 5 minutes trying to arrange these croissants while nightmare flashbacks of Mrs. Engel's 10th grade geometry class kept popping into my head. I was going back and forth between the food on the counter and the laptop with recipe on the table, hoping that if I read it one more time it would make sense. It never really did but after I played around with the little geometric figures long enough, I finally figured it out - I think. Only Betty Crocker could say for sure or a kid, I guess.

Strike three was when I was trying to crush the Doritos to make the crumbs for the topping. This is the second recipe I've tried from Betty Crocker where you're supposed to use chips in place of bread crumbs. I have struck out both times. I chose a very poor method for crushing the chips. I put them in a plastic container and started crushing them with the end of a spatula. Not my best move. My brain was telling me to put them in a ziploc bag and crush them that way, but I was being lazy. Not only did my method not get the chips small enough to use as bread crubms, with every other whack of the end of the spatula, pieces of chips went flying everywhere. Not that I didn't enjoy eating the crumbs that flew onto the counter. Okay, who am I kidding. I was eating the Doritos whole out of the bag too. Not only were the chips not small enough to serve as bread crumbs, the container wasn't big enough to roll the croissants in the chips. I guess that was strike four?

Four strikes and I'm out. Needless to say, they weren't very good! The chips were pointless and had no flavor, adding the milk to the croissants for dipping purposes took away the flaky goodness of the croissants. No thumbs up on this recipe and no more attempts from me to use potato chips as breading.

As for the fries, an hour and a half later, they actually turned out good using this recipe. That being said, I had to use a knife far too big for my comfort zone. I'm not very good with knives, especially big ones and I fear that some day I will lose a finger). I could have done without the hot oil popping and burning on my hands and arms. And most importantly, they just took way too long (much longer than the recipe indicated, I might add). Unless I get a deep fryer, I will either be baking fries or just buying them pre-made from this point on.

You win some you lose some I guess and tonight was a big loss!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!