Skip to main content

Get in the kitchen and make me some: Brownie 'n Berries Dessert Pizza

Brownie 'n Berries Dessert Pizza


Prep Time: 20 Min

Cook Time: 20 Min

Ready In: 2 Hr 40 Min



Ingredients
  • 1 box Betty Crocker® brownie mix
  • Butter and eggs called for on brownie mix box
  • 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup fresh raspberries
  • 1/2 cup apple jelly
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray or shortening.
  2. In large bowl, stir brownie mix, butter and eggs until well blended. Spread in pan.
  3. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out clean or almost clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  4. In small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over brownie base. Arrange berries over cream cheese mixture. Stir jelly until smooth; brush over berries. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until chilled. Cut into wedges. Store covered in refrigerator.
--------------------------------------------------------

This is the tasty little number I made for our 4th of July cookout. And I do mean tasty. I'm not even a huge dessert person and I couldn't stop eating it! I even ate it for breakfast the next day (hey, it's fruit!).

Our pizza pan has holes in it so I used my best judgement and decided it wouldn't be a good idea to pour brownie batter on it. I'm so smart, aren't I? Instead, I used two pie pans. I always seem to overcook my brownies so this time, I decided I would cook it for the minimum amount listed on the box and then take it out so the brownies would be nice and gooey. It worked and gooey they were, but not too gooey.

I didn't have any apple jelly and didn't think it would ever get eaten if I bought it so I decided to use strawberry jam instead. Rather than brushing the jelly over the fruit, I mixed it with the cream cheese frosting. Not only did this taste delicious, but it made the cream cheese frosting a little thinner and easier to spread on top of the brownies.

After letting the brownies cool for an hour or so, I tried to start frosting them and they started to crumble into the frosting so I knew they weren't cool enough. I put them in the refrigerator for another half an hour and by the time I took them out again, they frosted very easily.

I didn't use raspberries. For no particular reason other than I had already bought a ton of other fruit and food for our cookout and fruit is expensive so I was trying to save a little money. I don't think they were missed but I'm sure they would be good, too.

My final recommendation is that it might be easier to take the entire brownie mixture out of the pie pan before frosting. I had a lot of difficulty getting the pieces to come out of the pie pan and thought maybe if I would have done it before, it would have been easier. I took a knife and separated the brownie from the edges of the pie pan and this made it a little bit easier but they were still kind of stuck to the bottom of the pan.

All in all, this was a very easy recipe to make, it looked very festive for the holiday and it was absolutely delicious, if I do say so myself. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I