Skip to main content

Get your powder on

So it’s summer and you want to dress accordingly for the season. You picture cute shorts and tank tops, right? Not for me. You see, I have a very difficult time finding shorts that are at a length appropriate for both my age and my thunder thighs. When did all of the shorts get so short? Or have they always been this short and it just didn’t bother me when I was skinny enough to wear them?

If I do find shorts that are the right length, they are usually made for older women who are comfortable pulling pants up to their belly buttons. I’m not quite there yet. Maybe someday I will be, but not yet. For these reasons, I just avoid shorts all together which leads me to wearing dresses, like I am today. Dresses are great except that your thighs rub together when you’re wearing them and if it’s hot, they get sweaty and sticky. And after going around all day with your legs rubbing together, you can be sure that you will end up with leg chafage (aka leg chaffing).

It’s been so long since I’ve had skinny legs that I can’t remember if this is problem for everyone or just for those of us with big thighs that rub up against each other when walking. So I must ask you, skinny legs people; do your thighs touch each other, or not? If not, that may be just the extra motivation that I need to get my butt (and thighs) into gear and get skinny again! If your answer is yes, you are skinny and your legs still rub against each other, then I guess we're all in this together.

It turns out, guys have this problem, too. For as long as I have known Pat, he has always carried around Gold Bond medicated powder in his golf bag. I’m pretty sure I used to make fun of him when he would tell me about powdering up in the parking lot before going golfing. Maybe I had skinnier legs then and just could not relate to leg chafage, but I can assure you, I no longer make fun of Pat for his powder use. In fact, I’ve jumped on board.

A few years ago, if you would have told me that by my 28th birthday I would be carrying around a travel size bottle of Gold Bond medicated powder in my purse, I never would have believed you. Reluctantly, I must admit, just three weeks shy of the big 2-8, that day has come. Not only do I carry it around in my purse, but I will not think twice about whipping it out in public and rubbing it on my thighs if necessary.

You have to admit, it's pretty cute!
A few weekends ago, while in Columbus for the bachelorette party, I had to powder up mid-walk to one of the bars. Granted, it was Comfest weekend so me putting powder on my legs seemed like nothing compared to the hippies walking around with painted boobs. And just today, I’ve had to powder up once already at work. It is now a part of my life and I've accepted it for what it is.

Once you're able to swallow your pride, or once you get leg chafage so bad that you can barely walk, whichever comes first, you, too, may want to consider going out and purchasing your own travel size bottle of Gold Bond medicated powder to keep in your purse. Go ahead, get your powder on. One day, you will thank me.

Comments

Holly said…
My thighs touch. I remember the days when they didn't. Those days are long gone and I just have to accept that my thighs will probably always touch from here on out. You're not in this alone! Never thought to use powder to keep my legs from sticking together during the summer when I wear dresses. I too am not a huge fan of shorts these days. Here's to wearing sundresses all summer long!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!