Skip to main content

cat scratch fever

Do you ever go through life thinking, "this could only happen to me?" I feel like that is my life's motto. This is just another example.

***

The request was simple: stop in on my friend's cat a few times while she and her husband were in Myrtle Beach. They only live about 10 minutes away and I was happy to help, so I said yes.

Today was my first day on duty. To say it didn't go well is the understatement of the century.

When I arrived at their house, I was greeted by the cat at the top of the stairs. The greeting went fine. She sniffed my hand, let me pet her and then she went on with her business. The first thing I noticed was a birthday gift for me on their dining room table (which was an extremely nice surprise) so I went over to open it.

All of the sudden and completely out of nowhere, while I was reading my birthday card, the cat charged me and started attacking my legs - my bare exposed legs. On a 95+ degree day, it never occurred to me that maybe I would be safer wearing long pants to check on the cat. First mistake.

After she released my legs from her wrath, I tried to run away from her but she chased me, trying to attack me again. I swung my purse at her and then she attacked my purse. She was literally hanging from my cloth purse. I panicked and ran into their bedroom and shut the door behind me.

I opened the door slightly, hoping to find her gone when she tried to charge through the door and attack me through the crack. I quickly slammed the door. I did this about three more times until I finally realized, this cat was not going anywhere.

So now I'm trapped in their bedroom. I decided to borrow some pants and put them on under my skirt. At least this way my legs would be protected if when I get attacked again. So I grabbed the thickest pair of pants I could find - trusty old corduroy.  After I put the pants on, I noticed a spray bottle in their bedroom so I grabbed it.

When I opened the bedroom door to leave, as expected, the cat was right there waiting for me. She tried to lunge me again and I pulled the trigger on the water bottle. Although she would back up one step while I was spraying her in the face, she never ran away. As soon as I would stop spraying, she would try to attack me again.

So I just kept spraying until finally she laid down about a foot away from me. And of course, she laid down directly in my path to the food and water bowl. So now I was completely stuck. One move forward and she would attack me again, eliminating my chances of checking on her food and water - the entire purpose of my trip.

I didn't want to call my friend and bother her so I called my husband instead. Over and over again and he never answered. I knew he was out working in the garage and I knew his phone was in the house, but wishfully hoping he would go inside, I just kept calling. It didn't work.

So I called my mom instead. Although she tried to be supportive, she really had no good advice (except to leave) and all she could say was, "I know it might be too soon, but this is actually really funny," And she was right. It was too soon since I hadn't even made it out of the house alive yet.

Taking my Mom's advice, I slowly backed my way out of the house, spray bottle still in hand, and decided to call it a day. As I was locking the door, Pat finally called me back and I explained to him the situation. He sounded absolutely disgusted with me that after all the time I had spent there, I still hadn't even checked on the cat's food and water.

He clearly didn't understand the gravity of this situation. But being the knight-in-shining-armor husband that he is, he told me he would come over to help. He laughed at me when I suggested he wear long pants and a long sleeve shirt and to bring our broom.

But he must have decided to trust me because when he showed up, he was armed with all three.

How pathetic and defeated (and hot) I looked when Pat got there.

So it turns out the broom was a great idea. Although the cat proceeded to attack it, she was no match for Pat and the broom. He was able to check on the food and water, grab my birthday gift and get out of the house unscathed.

My battle wounds.
That makes one of us.

To add insult to injury, my gas light came on during my drive home so I stopped to get gas. It wasn't until about halfway through filling up my tank that I realized I still had the corduroy pants on, unbuttoned and unzipped, underneath my skirt.

By the time I remembered, the pants were already sagging halfway down my legs. Coupled with my big, pregnant belly, it was a really classy look for me.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to. 

Comments

jopye said…
44875
Emily, it's not so much "that this could only happen to you", but more the words you use to convey
humor, chagrin, fear or whatever other emotion you are feeling. You are truly
a story teller. Kathy Y

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!