Skip to main content

Get in the Kitchen and make me some: Thanksgiving food!

Since I didn't host Thanksgiving or cook a turkey, I feel bad making the claim that I was a "Thanksgiving cooking machine," but I'm going to say it anyway. I was a Thanksgiving cooking machine! I surprisingly was off the day before Thanksgiving (didn't think I would be until Tuesday night) so I took full advantage of the day! I didn't sleep in (in my book, anyway, although it's all relative) and I didn't sit down all day long, not even to eat lunch because I forgot to eat lunch!

I made several new recipes that day, hopefully you will consider it as a make-up for many weeks lost in the new recipe department.

First I made...
Iced Pumpkin Cookies Recipe

Iced Pumpkin Cookies

I didn't miss lunch because I was eating these cookies as I made them. At first I thought they were delicious (because I was starving) and then, when I wasn't hungry anymore I became unsure about them. I planned to double the recipe but didn't because I didn't know if I liked them or not and Pat didn't act too excited about them either. Instead of using only regular sugar, I used half brown sugar and half regular, per a suggestion on the site (**note: when I use allrecipes.com, I ALWAYS read through the recipe reviews. There are always great tips and suggestions in there from people who have made the recipe).
I used cream cheese frosting instead of the frosting the recipe suggests (no, I didn't make it from scratch but if I had been more prepared with ingredients - I would have). I added some red and yellow food coloring to the frosting to give it a nice orange, festive look. When I took the cookies to the Thanksgiving festivities, they were a hit and I was really feeling guilty that I didn't make more! I think if/when I make them again, I will use a little more pumpkin than the recipe calls for. Again, per the recommendation of one of the reviewers.
Next I made four of these...

Pecan Cheese Ball recipe

I never know what constitutes as appropriate dishes to make for Thanksgiving (i.e. the cornbread from last year) so when a great cook at work said she was making cheese balls, I decided I would too (copying is the best form of flattery, right?). I remembered that there was a cheese ball recipe in my "friend to friend" cookbook from my friend Jen so I decided to use that one (from kraftfoods.com). I made two cheese balls following that recipe exactly - except I used mayo instead of miracle whip. I decided to spice up the second two (literally) with some ranch dressing seasoning (not my idea - stole it from someone on allrecipes.com). I wasn't sure the best way to get the cheese mixtures into balls. Some sources said do it immediately, others said put it in the refrigerator first. I decided to do it immediately. I wrapped each ball in wax paper and really did the final shaping once the wax paper was around the mixture. After they were cold, then I rolled it in the pecan mixture. Next time, I think I want to try it with pretzels on the outside so that my SIL who is allergic to nuts can try it too. I want to make this cheese ball again because I LOVED it and pretty much dominated it at all three of the Thanksgivings we attended.

Then I made...

Pumpkin Spice Roll recipe

Pumpkin Roll

I guess saying I "attempted to make"a pumpkin roll would be more accurate. The recipe in my cookbook said to grease the pan and then put a piece of wax paper on top. It didn't say anything about greasing the wax paper. It does say that online, however, so I guess now I can see where the mixup happened. I didn't grease the wax paper so the cake completely stuck to it. Pat helped me get it off but it was in many different pieces. I was so embarassed of it that I was going to leave it at home. Pat talked me into taking it so we took it to my Dad's house first. My Uncle was doing a nice display of the desserts and I was too embarassed to have mine on display so I put it in the refridgerator. We forgot about it until the next morning. We left my Dad and Jill half of it and then took the other half to Pat's families Thanksgiving where we again, forgot to get it out until everyone had left (no, I didn't do this on purpose because I was embarassed it), so we left half of the half with them and took the other half of the half home with us. I had two pieces of it and LOVED it! It was soooo good, despite the poor presentation! I highly recommend this recipe (I am going to make it one more time very soon just to prove I can). I also highly recommend that you grease the wax paper. :)

Finally, I made....
Sweet Sweet Potato Casserole  Recipe

Sweet Sweet Potato Casserole

I use a family recipe for this dish but this is something similar. I tripled the recipe for this dish and didn't finish making it until 12:30 a.m. At that point, I was getting pretty tired and turned my mixer on too high, sweet potatoes were flying everywhere and it wasn't pretty. The first batch I tried to make, I didn't cook the sweet potatoes long enough. It was very obvious because the skin wasn't easily peeling off so I had to put them back on the stove. My mom makes this recipe for her house, my cousin Jill brings this recipe to my Dad's house so I bring this recipe to Pat's family's Thanksgiving and everyone loves it! 

After I finished the sweet potatoes, I called it a night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!