Skip to main content

My iPod is like a box of chocolates...

A box of chocolates with both good and awful chocolates mixed together. Pat is always saying that you can't trust the "random" shuffle on my iPod because I have such awful songs on there. I always defend myself and am insulted by his comments since I pride myself on having somewhat of good taste in music.

But today, I was listening to my iPod while unpacking from our Christmas travels and organizing my new kitchen pantry (more on that later) and the most bizarre songs were coming up on the random shuffle on my iPod. I had to admit to myself that he is right. I'm only admitting this to you and me, by the way. I am not ready to tell him that he is right and that I agree with him that it's time for an iPod intervention. Instead, I will slowly but surely (and secretly) delete songs from my iPod to try and improve the quality of the random shuffle.

In the meantime, I would like to share with you the 10 songs that played in a row on my iPod's random shuffle today:

Buffalo Soldier - Bob Marley 
I LOVE this song... no complaints from me)
I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred 
hmm... I will admit, this is the song that really got me to start agreeing with Pat's statement that a random shuffle isn't safe on my iPod. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed it and ended up singing, dancing, and of course, "runwalking" in my kitchen... all by myself. And no, I will not be deleting this song. How could I? Besides, it has over two million views on YouTube. That has to count for something, right?
Not in Love - Enrique Iglesias and Kelis  
Well, first we should discuss the "and Kelis" part of this song. Kelis was popular back in the day (just to clarify - back in the day might have different meanings for us. I'm referring to back in my college days so circa 2002-2006, not back in the day like back in the 1970s, FYI) for her song "Milkshake." Haven't heard that song? Do yourself a favor and check it out. But I should warn you, she isn't talking about a drink from McDonalds and you will never get those three minutes of your life back. Yeah, I'm talking all this crap about that song, but guess what? It's on my iPod too. :) Anyway, this isn't a quality song and probably shouldn't be on my iPod but I probably won't delete it either because you just never know if someday I will really wish I had it.
Adrift - Jack Johnson
One of my fav artists so of course I love it. It's a little slow but who doesn't love a good mellow tune?
Caught Up - Usher
Hmm... another interesting selection. Again, goes back to the good old BGSU days. This was also one of the 60 songs on our "power hour" mix the roommates and I listened to pretty much every night while getting ready to go out. So for historical purposes, I pretty much have to keep this song.
How Far We've Come - Matchbox 20
I think this is a great song and I have no regrets for possessing it on my iPod and I think even Pat would agree with this assessment. 
Run It - Chris Brown
Interesting. I can't help but notice the re-occurrence of "power hour" and college day songs in my random shuffles. Perhaps this is what Pat is talking about. There is a time and place for this type of music (dancing on stages at Sky Bar in BG, for example) but entertaining guests, a backyard cookout and even just cooking in the kitchen, doesn't seem like the appropriate place for this song. Of course I can't delete it though...
Favorite Year - Dixie Chicks
A great song from their very last and very underrated album (in my opinion). I like this song and am glad to have it on my iPod even though I ,too, am guilty of skipping over it far too often.
Milkshake - Kelis
I couldn't have planned this any better myself. I kid you not, this came on my mix after I already starting writing this blog. The irony is just too much for me! But the fact that this song came on in my random shuffle just proves Pat's theory even more. This is off the BGSU "power hour" mix as well.
20 Miles to Georgia - Josh Kelley
I like Josh Kelley and I think this song is a good, easy listening song. No regrets here.

So that sums up the random 10 song shuffle on my iPod. I think we discovered several interesting things. 1.) Pat is right, random shuffles aren't safe on my iPod. I would have been very embarrassed if anyone other than Grady and me were home to hear this mix of songs. 2.) I obviously carry over my "pack rat" tendencies to iTunes because even though I would be humiliated if my family was at my house and "Milkshake" came on my iPod... I still can't convince myself to delete it, "just in case I might want it someday." Someday when? I have no idea. Just someday... 3.) I need to make more playlists on my iPod so that I never have to rely on the random shuffle.

New Year's resolution? Perhaps...

Comments

Katydid said…
I think this is great! I have much the same issue with my iPod only with me there is the random New Kids on the Block songs that I simply refuse to delete no matter how rediculous they may be :)

Katy
Unknown said…
I love this stuff! I didn't know where to post it, so I'm leaving it here lol. 1. Hallelujah by Rufus Wainwright, definetly not getting deleted ever, it's one of my favorite songs. 2. The Dance by Garth Brooks, I think the only memories I have of this song are from choir! It's just a great song. 3. Hometown Glory by Adele, it is my fave from her album 19, and it reminds me of Shelby, it really accentuates her voice. 4. Asleep by The Smiths, I'm so glad this song came up on my random shuffle. It is honestly my favorite song of all time and I mean that! I learned of the song after reading "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" and listened to it constantly on repeat during high school. Gotta love Morrisey! 5.Will You Be There by Michael Jackson reminds me plain and simply of Free Willie and me and my sister used to watch the beginning of the movie with the music video just for this song lol 6. Yesterday's Feelings by The Used, I love the used and this is one of their more mellow songs, it also reminds me of senior year of high school. How to Save a Life by The Fray- one of the best songs to sing out loud in the shower! 7. Best I Ever Had by Vertical Horizon, reminds me of summer nights and living life. 8. Glitter in the Air by Pink, reminds me of Miranda (sister) since she introduced me to this song, it's a good one! 9. Gold Digger by Kayne West, no memories really with this one either I just really love that song 10. When Your Mind's Made Up by Glen Hansard from the movie Once, which wasn't a great movie but it had a fantastic soundtrack! This is a great song to sing to, ask my office mate!
Esox said…
1. Cactus Pears - Firecracker - Takes me back to my early college days at OU when I went to see the Cactus Pears live at Casa. Could listen to it a million times and still want to hear it again.
2. Tiffany- I think We're Alone Now - HA! Rockin' the 80's this song could stay or go, I wouldn't miss it.
3. Marilyn Manson- Beautiful People - Tasha's dad refused to let her buy a Marilyn Manson CD, so I bought it for her and sneaked it over to her house. lol I do love his rendition of Beautiful People.
4. HedPe- Crazy Legs - Although it's vile, I love HedPe. Thomas and I used to sing this in the car a lot.
5. Def Leopard- Pour Your Sugar On Me- My favorite band when I was 5. Still pretty good. My sisters and I used to head bang to this song in the back seat of the car.
6. Metalica- Unforgiven II - This music video used to be on MTV every single morning as I was getting ready for school. Love the "Ooooh Yeeah" part towards the end. I like the song but might delete it just because I hate Lars Ulrich for his battle with Napster.
7. Neon Trees - Our War - A new cd in my collection I'd rather listen to Love & Affection or Habits, but this song is good too. No memories with it yet.
8. Katrina & The Waves - Walkin' on Sunshine - Totally reminds me of Look Who's Talking and its just fun so it stays.
9. George Michael- Faith - Again love the song. George Michael is alright, Limp Bizket's version was better. Reminds me of my days on the Swim Team. Brooke Musser and I used to Rock Out to this song before big meets We'd jump all over the place like we were in a crazed moshpit.
10. Broadway - A.W.O.L.- Also relatively new for my collection but it reminds me of a certain special man whom I wish I could see more often! Could listen to it over and over as well!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!