Skip to main content

Twas three days before Christmas...

T minus 3 days...

And I'm still not finished with my shopping, wrapping, baking or crafting. Yikes. Let this blog at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday morning count as the blog I was supposed to write last night. Maybe I forgot to write it or maybe I purposely avoided it because I was embarrassed about how very unproductive I was yesterday. Unproductive, yet, I felt like I never relaxed for a second! 

I let myself sleep in until 9, and it felt great (okay, so I guess I did do a little relaxing)! Then somehow I wasted time on the computer until 10:30 or so before I started to melt the chocolate to dip the oreo balls in (slaps hand on wrist). I don't have a double boiler and the two pots that I used last year as my own imitation of one, were two small to hold three times as much chocolate chips. So I decided to use a glass bowel inside of a pot instead. 

It worked great, at first. But towards the end, the chocolate started to cook on the glass and got really chunky. I have no idea if this was because it was glass or because I had three times as many oreo balls to dip and it took three times as long, allowing the chocolate to start getting hard. Either way, even though I had enough chocolate to finish the oreo balls, they started to look really bad and really chunky so I had to stop. 

I wanted to rinse the bowel before the chocolate hardened so I took the bowel that was too hot to touch with my bare hands, over to the sink where I poured cold water on it. You can guess what happened next. I started hearing glass cracking and then shattering and then chocolate was starting to leak out of the bottom of the bowel.  Obviously, it was a very dangerous mess in my sink. I spent some time cleaning that up before I went to get the mail.

When I got the mail, we had a whole stack of Christmas cards. Yay! I LOVE getting Christmas cards. But four of them were from people we didn't send Christmas cards to this year. You can judge me for this, but I am one of those people who will send you a Christmas card if you send me one. Not because I feel obligated, but because I feel it's the nice, Christmassy thing to do. So, I immediately went down to the basement to make five more Christmas cards. Yes, not only am I going to send these people Christmas cards, but they're going to be handmade cards just like everyone else got! 

When I went to the basement to print the pictures for the cards, I remembered I also needed to print some pictures for a calendar I'm putting together as a gift. So I was trying to do both. I was just finishing up the cards when I looked at the clock and it was 2:45. I was supposed to pick Pat's friend up and take him to the airport at 3:00! So I rushed to get the Christmas cards addressed and stamped, hoping that if I got them to the post office before 5 that they would have a slight chance of getting there before Christmas and then rushed out the door to go pick up Pat's friend. 

Picking him up and taking him to the airport took about an hour and while I was out, I decided I would run some (but not even close to all) of the errands I needed to get done. I got back to my house right at the same time my friend was coming over. We went to Zumba class and then did dinner. When I got home, I did some more crafting that needed to get done and then the day was over. 

When I woke up this morning I realized that I forgot to have Pat take something to work that he needs to laminate for me (using my own laminate, just using the machine there) so now I have to make a trip to Elyria today on top of everything else. Not exactly on top of my game. 

So, to try to summarize this very long winded blog, I still have a lot to do. Here are my plans for today:

Make the mixture for the buckeyes, roll them into balls, put them into the fridge
Go to store and buy chocolate chips for the buckeyes
Possibly buy some sort of chocolate melting machine or a double boiler since I have few options left
Meet Pat for lunch to exchange "craft"
Go to Kohls to try and buy two remaining gifts
Go to Michael's to see if I can find a frame that Pat needs for a gift and buy a basket for another gift
Buy some things for Pat's stocking
Finish wrapping gifts
Finish making a craft for one of the gifts
Print some more pictures for other gifts
Finish dipping oreo balls in chocolate
Dip buckeyes in chocolate
Make peanut blossom cookies
Make peanut butter cookies
Make peanut butter fudge
Make more pretzel turtles

And whatever I don't get done today (which will probably be like half of this list), I will try to do tomorrow! I'm losing some of that confidence (or arrogance) that I had a few days ago about my ability to get it all done...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I