Skip to main content

Get in the kitchen and make me some: Shredded chicken sandwiches

I wrote the blog below on October 19, 2010. Why it stayed in "draft" form, I'm not quite sure but it's time to set it free. Enjoy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients

  • 1 (50 ounce) can whole cooked chicken, drained, bones and skin removed
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 1/8 cups water
  • 1 (8 ounce) package dry bread stuffing mix
  • 6 hamburger buns, split

Directions

  1. Shred chicken, and place in a large pot or slow cooker. Stir in soup and water. Stir in the seasoning mix from the stuffing, and then stir in the dry stuffing mix. Cook over medium heat until heated through. Spoon onto buns, and serve.
I realize I am long overdue for a new recipe of the week. I'm not sure where the last month has gone. I feel like I blinked in August and opened my eyes to find October 19th out of nowhere. As I've said before, life should feel much calmer for us now that wedding season is over and I hope to get back to my goal of trying one new recipe each week.

We had company this weekend for all of the Halloween festivities and I wanted to make something in bulk to feed everyone for lunch on Saturday. I thought hot shredded chicken sandwiches would be perfect! There was just one problem: I've never made hot shredded chicken sandwiches before. Can't be that hard though, right? Just buy a big can of shredded chicken and throw it in the crock pot. I soon found out that you can't actually buy a huge can labeled "shredded chicken." And if you can somewhere, that somewhere isn't Marc's in North Olmsted. So I decided I would just call my mom and get her oldie but goodie recipe. We LOVE her shredded chicken sandwiches and I wanted her recipe. I called her only to find out that she doesn't even have a recipe and just found one online (but she didn't remember where she found it or what ingredients she used). Thanks for your help, Mom!

So I started my own google search to find the perfect recipe. Most of them were pretty similar, either cook a whole chicken and tear it apart yourself (no thanks) or buy cans of chunked chicken and smash it yourself. I thought for sure I had seen in the back of Paul's Drive-In during my three-month stint of working there, these big cans of already "shredded chicken." I assumed you just buy the cans, put them in the crock pot and call it a day. Turns out, it doesn't work that way. Oh well.

So I ended up buying five 10 oz. cans of chunked chicken. I put the chicken in the food processor, which I later realized wasn't entirely necessary. Breaking the chicken up with a fork would have worked just as well. I mixed the chicken, soup, water and stuffing in the crock pot and cooked on low for a few hours. It was delicious and I highly recommend this recipe!

Comments

Kristen said…
I love Roots Shredded Chicken! I don't know if they have it there in CLE because it is locally here in Fremont, OH. However, I know they do carry it in places like Meijer and I also think Gordon Food Service (in larger amounts) around here! You should check it out, if you want to make things ever easier! It's SO GOOD!

Popular posts from this blog

Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project

I recently joined the group 20 Something Bloggers and stumbled across the blog below where Sandy is creating and releasing 1000 paper cranes with a different inspirational word on each one. She leaves them for others to find and to hopefully spread a bit of positive energy and "world peace" which is what cranes symbolize. She came up with this idea after reading "Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes" by Elanor Coerr which is a book about a girl from Hiroshima who was diagnosed with cancer and wanted to fold 1000 cranes before she died but unfortunately only made it to 644. I was inspired when reading her blog and thought you might be interested in learning about it too! Sandy and the 1000 Paper Cranes: About The Project : "So why 1000 paper cranes? What started this all? After reading the true story of Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Elanor Coerr, I was..."

First Annual Ugly Sweater Party

Ugly Sweater Party from Emily Robinson on Vimeo . Well, our First Annual Ugly Sweater Party was a huge success! We had SO much fun, as you'll see from the video. I also had so much fun making this video! I got a new flip cam for Christmas so it was fun to actually make a project with the videos! For those who attended the party, you will definitely enjoy all 14 minutes of this video (it is worth every second). I was laughing so hard while I was making it! For those who didn't attend the party, I can see how the video might get old or seem really long. Either way, if you watch it, let me know what you think!

Beware of Infections...

When I think of an infection, I think of something that needs a little neosporin and a band aid and then life goes on. When the doctors started talking about Mark's infection as something that is life-threatening, as you can imagine, I was shocked. He has stage IV cancer for god's sake, an infection is the least of his worries, right? Wrong. Turns out it's not uncommon for people going through this treatment to get these infections which can be fatal if it doesn't respond to antibiotics and continues to spread. So, going back to my blog about not worrying because it doesn't get you anywhere and it's a waste of time, yada yada yada - I have done very little of anything else besides worry during the past 36 hours or so. Even during the hour and a half last night watching the movie Amityville Horror I was worrying. Well, I guess I was worrying more about not peeing my pants, but you get the idea. I feel bad for the people around me when I get worried like this. I